Chapter Seventeen: A Most Horrible Dinner

Eli and I are in a good place – finally. I could finally say that he and I were more in love than we had ever been, even more so than when we were married. Us being boyfriends was actually working out. I mean I had my doubts in the beginning but Eli was shaping up to be quite the boyfriend. The sex was amazing – like unbelievably great. Maybe I should have let Eli be top in the beginning of this relationship. He learned a few things since we’ve been apart. But anyways – I was in a genuinely happier mood than usual.

Eli and I were back and better than before. We could barely keep our hands off of each other literally.

“Dad,” Michael said awkwardly clearing his throat. “I’m standing right here. Could you not have your tongues in each other’s mouths for a second?”

“Sorry,” I said breaking away from Eli. Eli grinned at me, as Michael rolled his eyes.

“I’m glad you too are back together and whatever,” Michael huffed, grabbing juice from out of the fridge. “But anyways – my girlfriend’s parents invited us over for dinner tonight.”

“Girlfriend?” I repeated taken aback by the word. “Since when did you have a girlfriend?”

“I’ve had a girlfriend for like two months now,” Michael replied casually.

Two months? Two whole months, he’s had a girlfriend and this is the first time I’m ever hearing about it. God, where have I been? I’ve been so wrapped up in Eli and I’s relationship that I had forgotten about my kids. I’m such a terrible parent.

“That’s great Michael,” I said pretending as if I wasn’t the least bit shocked. “What time do they want us over?”

“Six thirty,” he replied. “So are you guys coming? I mean it’s completely fine if you guys have plans. I mean don’t feel obligated. It’s not like I’m marrying the girl or anything.”

“We don’t have any plans,” I said glancing at Eli. “Right?”

“No, none at all,” El grinned. “We’d love to come and meet your girlfriend and her parents.”

Having said that, Michael nodded walking out of the kitchen. Eli stared at him, his eyes following him until he was out of sight. I was confused. Eli had a weird look on his face.

“What?” I asked as Eli sighed.

“His girlfriend’s parents want to meet with us,” Eli said raising an eyebrow. “That means they want to talk to us about something and it’s probably something bad.”

“I doubt it,” I said shaking my head. “Michael is a good kid. They probably just want to get to know us.”

“Nope,” Eli interjected before I could continue. “Parents don’t meet with other parents for pleasure, Caleb. Trust me. I’ve meet with my share because of Michelle. It’s always about sex, drugs, delinquent behavior, my lifestyle, etc. They want to talk about something.”

“Maybe Michelle was about those things but Michael isn’t,” I replied shaking my head. “Michael – “

“Michael is a teenager, Caleb,” Eli replied. “You know as well as I know what teenage boys think about on a daily basis. He’s not a child anymore, Caleb, as much as you’d like him to be. He’s a hormone crazy teenage boy.”

“Michael isn’t like that,” I scoffed getting a little irritated by Eli’s suggestions. “I raised Michael practically by myself. He and I are close. If he was doing any of those sorts of things I would know. I’m his father. We talk about everything.”

“You talk about everything yet you didn’t know he even had a girlfriend,” Eli retorted. “I’m sure he’s kept other things from you too.”