▸ Ch.01 ♆ beginning

─────W I L L O W

─────
W I L L O W

I INCHED CLOSER, MY GRANDFATHER'S MANSION now somewhat visible over the over-grown, extremely tall trees. I drove through the canopy of dark forestry until I reached a set of rusted, flecked gates, the letters "M" and "C" engraved into the steel. They seemed to creak open by themselves, followed by a crack of lighting which flashed across the gloomy sky, as if something was expecting my arrival.

            Who knew my grandfather lived in such an ominous place.

            Swallowing my fears, I drove on ahead, the pebbles crunching under my tires.

            I couldn't help but gape at the sight of the old, yet gorgeous house, and it's intricate design features and structures. The real question that seemed to linger, was why me? Why hadn't my grandfather left this house for any other relative? His own siblings or family members, perhaps?

            I finally reached the top of the steep driveway, now parked outside the main doors. I drew a breath and swung the car door open and stepped out. The cool, afternoon breeze whipped at my face and tousled my hair, making me somewhat shiver as I approached the doubled doors. I dug around in my pocket and fished out the key my grandfather's insurance agent had given me at his funeral. I inserted it into the lock and slowly pushed the doors open, with an eery screech.

            The smell of dust and old books attacked my nose, making me cough and splutter as I entered the empty, dark foyer. It was freezing, as if I'd stepped into a freezer. I arched my eyebrow curiously and stepped back outside; it was warm, despite the large storm brewing overhead. I stepped inside once more; it was as if the temperature had suddenly dropped. Wrapping my arms around my shoulders, I carefully shuffled deeper into the foyer.

            I stood in the middle of the room, gazing up at the old chandelier that hung dangerously from the ceiling. It was covered in a thick layer of dust—clearly showing its age. I carefully manoeuvred my way around, outside the radius of the chandelier, not wanting it to suddenly snap and crush me.