(13) Just Don't Hurt Her

Ali's POV

"JJ?" I question finishing her eyes and putting my mascara back in my makeup bag. "Baby what exactly happened?"

"They were yelling." she says checking out my amazing work. If soccer doesn't work out I could be a makeup artist. Okay well more like a mascara artist. I can't really do anything else. Ashlyn and Syd normally have to do mine. "Thanks Ali."

"No problem kiddo." I smile through the mirror at her while sitting down on Ash's bed. "What were they saying? Do you remember?"

"I didn't really hear much before Mom told me to come down here." she says while turning in the chair to face me. As she does I notice her keeping her head angled toward the ground and not making eye contact with me. Julie's the type of person to always look at the person she's speaking to, so this odd behavior of her. One of them must have said something that hurt her feelings and my best bet is that it was Carli. Hope would never say something negative about her baby girl. Car on the other hand tends to be the more tense one of them and she has no filter when she's not in the spotlight. Now Hope never has a filter, like even in front of reporters, but when JJ has anything to do with something at all Hope suddenly develops one.

"Julie what did your Mama say?" I sigh tapping her knee. "I know something has got you down so please don't lie to me. I promise I won't tell either one of them anything. I just want to help baby." She continues to look down and play with her bracelets. "Baby c'mon and talk to me. You're talking to Aunt Ali, remember? Everything's safe with me; you know that." I manage to get a little smile from her after referring to myself as "Aunt" Ali. She only calls me that when she's upset, sleepy, in really big trouble with one of her moms, or wants something, but it's kind of cute and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person she calls that. I really don't think anyone else has the honor of being Julie Johnston's "Aunt" and it makes me really happy that she loves me so much to pick me.

"Mama said that she has to be the disciplinarian because, 'God knows one of us has to be'" she quotes still not looking up at me. "Does that mean I'm bad?" she ask simply finally picking her eyes up off the floor and meeting mine.

"Oh no baby. You're the sweetest girl I know." I say opening my arms to give her a hug. She practically launches herself onto me almost making me fall over. "Discipline isn't just when you get in trouble Jay. It can be something like making sure you're getting to bed on time so you can wake up when you are supposed to so you can give it your best on the pitch. Also, I think your Mama was probably just frustrated with your Mom baby girl. I don't think she meant it in a negative way." I explain after getting her situated on my lap.

"But Aunt Ali she said it really meanly." she whispers playing with my sweater subconsciously.

I smile softly at her antics and gently remove her hands and hold them in mine, "Ash is down there probably giving them hell for sending you down here crying so I'm sure she'll be ready to apologize when you see her later." 

"Okay." she sighs laying her hand on my shoulder. I pull her closer and kiss the top of her head before letting her go.

"Why don't you go get your purse and a jacket, hmm?" I ask helping her stand up. "I bet Morgan is already downstairs waiting if you want to go ahead and go down there kiddo."

"Alright." she nods and as I stand up she kisses my cheek. "Thanks Aunt Ali. I love you." My heart melts and I can't help to smile ear to ear.

"I love you too sweet heart."  She grins while leaving. Gosh I hope Ash lays it into those bone heads. I hate seeing that kid upset.

Hope's POV

"What do you mean she's not mine anymore?" yells Carli furiously. "You can't do that Hope!"