Chapter 4. Cherry blossoms.

Sophie’s POV.

The morning after, I woke up feeling very tired. It was no wonder, I had barely slept at all. My eyes were dry after all of the crying I’d done. I heard the shower being on in the bathroom. Miriam was probably taking a shower. I yawned and turned over so I was facing the wall. If I fell asleep right this second, I’d be able to sleep for… 10 minutes? Well, I don’t know how long Miriam has been in the shower. Reluctantly, I dragged myself out of bed and walked over to the closet. I decided to wear a pair of black capri-pants and a flowing white t-shirt with pastel zebras on it. After changing clothes, I knocked on the bathroom door.

“Hey, Miriam! I need to fix up a bit!” I shouted.

“Wait a bit, I need to get decent first.” Miriam said, I could practically see the smirk on her face.

I rolled my eyes and sat down on my bed while I waited. I inhaled the scent of our room. It smelled distinctively of Miriam and me. The scent made me feel safe, yet it hurt in my core because her scent would fade away to nothingness after I got a new roommate. I’d rather live alone, but Miriam had insisted that I request a new roommate. Just so I would have someone to talk to at night. I smiled as Miriam walked out of the room, wearing towel around her body and another one that held her hair.

“Bathroom’s not occupied anymore.” She said and pointed at the bathroom.

I walked into the bathroom and closed the door behind me. Yawning yet another time, I went toilet quickly. I washed my hands thoroughly afterwards and opened the small cabinet that held my toiletries. I felt a sting in my heart as I saw that Miriam’s toiletries were gone. That’s right, she had packed. Shaking off the tears that were welling up in my eyes, I washed my face and grabbed my makeup kit. I carefully applied the jet black, liquid eyeliner along my lash line, making a slight wing at the end. I repeated the step on the other eye and added some mascara. Just as I was going to put the makeup away, I remembered my dark circles. Quickly, I covered them up with my lovely concealer. At least I didn’t look extremely tired. I sighed and put away everything. Now I just needed to brush my hair. Grabbing my paddle brush, I gently brushed through my hair. Surprisingly enough, there weren’t any knots and it wasn’t very tangly. I left my hair down just as yesterday, because I felt comfortable in it. Well, and I wanted to get Christian’s attention. A small giggle escaped my lips as I walked out of the bathroom. Miriam was wearing a white t-shirt with some print on it and a pair of green capri pants.

“If you’re done, then we need to find Nick. And we need to be done before ten o’clock, my parents are picking me up then.” Miriam said and smiled a sad smile.

“Okay, but I need to eat breakfast. My stomach’s rumbling.” I said and like on command, my stomach rumbled.

We both laughed and walked down to the courtyard, locking the door after us. The few people that were awake now at half past seven were talking quietly to each other or walking towards the cafeteria. In the corner of my eye, I saw Nick walking towards the gym.

“Hey!” I shouted and began to run towards him.

He looked surprised, but smiled at Miriam and I.

“What’s up, kids?” He said.

“Miriam wants to leave.” I said.

“Why?” He said and his eyes widened.

Miriam gave me a “leave-us-alone”-look and I walked away from them. I looked at them as they spoke. Nick’s expression changed from surprised to sad and sympathetic. He nodded, then they walked towards me.