Make It Count

"I was right! You and my son are about the same size!" Molly exclaims, helping me slip the suit jacket on.

"Pretty close," I adjust the collar and push my hair back, out of my eyes.

Molly turns me to the body mirror "You shine up like a new penny!"

****

I feel odd being up in the first class section of the boat. Everything is so fancy, and everyone talks with accents.

Arriving to the food hall, a man in a suit like mine holds the door open for me "Good evening sir,"

I give an awkward smile and survey the room. The framework is astounding and the staircase down the middle of the room is massive.

I go down the shinning wood stairs and watch people flooding into the room. I dont know what to do. Do I stand with my back straight? What do I do with my hands?

An older gentleman stands in front of me with one arm behind his back, talking to a woman. Using him as an example, I copy his actions, bending my left arm behind my back.

"There are several thousand tons of Hockley steel in this ship,"

"Which part?"

"All the right parts of course,"

Two familiar voices draw my attention up the stairs. Savannah's mother, Michelle, and her fiance Scott are waltzing down the steps. Michelle has an arm in the crook of Scott's bent arm.

"Then we'll know who to hold accountable if theres a problem,"

"Wheres my daughter?"

"She'll be along," They continue without addressing me. Not even a smile.

(At the top of the stairs, by the clock, Savannah appears. She watches Riker copy the movements of Scott as he greets the Countess)

A quick glance to the stairs and I see Savannah. Shes making her way down in a maroon and black evening dress. White gloves up to her elbows, and her dark brown hair did up.

We meet at the bottom, she being slightly taller as she is standing on the last step. I bring her gloved hand up to my face, and kiss the back of her hand.

"I saw that in a nickelodeon once, and I always wanted to do it," I smile up at her.

Remembering what Scott had been doing with Michelle, I hold my arm up. Savannah loops her arm through. She guides us over to where Scott is standing 'Darling.."

Scott turns around, never looking at me "..surely you remember Mr. Lynch," she says.

"Lynch..." Scott sounds shocked "That's amazing. You could almost pass for a gentleman!"

"Almost..."

"Extraordinary.." Scott says, turning to walk with Michelle down the stairs that lead to the dining hall. Savannah and I follow.

Once in the hall, Savannah leans close "There's the Countess of Rothes," She turns her head "And thats John Jacob Astor, the richest man on the ship. His little wifey there, Madeleine, is my age and in a delicate condition. See how shes trying to hide it? Quite the scandal,"