Dont Do It

*Later that day, at dinner, no one acknowledged Savannah. The silver crab fork next to Savannah's plate was daring her. She picked it up and pressed it into her arm, harder and harder until it drew blood.

After dinner, she sat in her room staring at her reflection in the large vanity mirror.

Savannah babbled "I see my life as if I've already lived it.. an endless parade of parties and cotillions, yachts and polo matches.. always the same narrow people, the same mindless chatter. I feel like I'm standing at a great precipice, with no one to pull me back, no one who cares.. or even notices,"

With a anguished cry, she clawed at her throat, ripping off her pearl necklace. In a frenzy, Savannah flung everything off the dresser. She hurled a hand mirror against the vanity, cracking it.

"I've had enough.."*

~~~~

I run along B deck, my hair flying. My red cheeks are streaked with tears. Emotions show across my face: hatred, self-hatred, desperation. A strolling couple watches me pass, shocked that I'm showing this much emotion in public.

~~~~

The stars are beautiful out at sea, not a cloud in sight. I'm just thinking artist thoughts and smoking a cigarette.

A echoing sound from the stairs draws my attention. Propping myself up onto an elbow, I turn and see that girl running up the stairs from the well deck.

She must not see me in the shadows, because she runs right by me. She runs all the way to the back of the boat. The girl slams into the base of the stern flagpole, panting.

I have no clue what's wrong, but then she hitches up her long dress and starts to climb over the railing. Sixty feet below her are the massive propellers and churning Atlantic water.

"What is she thinking?" I mumble, quickly getting up.

Moving methodically, the girl turns her body and plants her heels on the white painted gunwale, back to the railing. She leans out.