Grammys Ratings Hold Steady as Awards Move to a New Night

Taylor Swift opened the 58th Grammy Awards on Monday night, which drew 25 million viewers.

FEBRUARY 16, 2016

The Grammys on CBS drew 25 million people on Monday night, roughly in line with last year's show, when 25.3 million people tuned in.

The Grammy Awards, which featured performances by Kendrick Lamar, Adele, Taylor Swift and the cast of "Hamilton," as well as a David Bowie tribute by Lady Gaga, did, however, fall to its lowest viewership since 2009, when roughly 19 million people tuned in. In the 18-to-49-year-old demographic important to advertisers, Monday's show had a 7.7 rating, down from last year's 8.5.

The Grammys this year was broadcast on a Monday instead of its traditional Sunday slot, which took advantage of the President's Day holiday, and avoided competition from the N.B.A. All-Star game and the mid-season return of "The Walking Dead." Last month, the Golden Globes drew 18.5 million people, which was a 5 percent decrease from the year before.

CBS also promoted the Grammys as a digital success, saying that it saw enormous growth in people watching a livestream through its CBS All Access service, though some of those users had a hard time connecting.

© 2016 The New York Times Company