Chapter 32: Father

Start from the beginning

“I can’t find the girls dorm,” he said, “I haven’t been inside the valley in a few years. I need you to show me where they are.”

“I’m not bringing you to her,” Nico spat, “You’re dangerous.”

“You think she’s safer by herself?!” he shouted, “She’s impulsive! Naïve! You have no idea what she’ll do on her own!”

“I know she won’t be brainwashed into killing herself!”

“You dense-! I’m her father! I know her better than some stupid elf that just blew in from town a few months ago!”

“I said I won’t!”

He gritted his teeth and his fists clenched tightly. She became fearful he might get violent.

He growled and stomped the ground, “I have no time for this!” he said, and turned away, starting to call her name out again.

Blake wobbled up next to her, rubbing his backside. “You know, you might have better luck with Phillip around.”

“Yeah, well, my luck gave me you, so I made due.” She stared at him, hoping he kept his focus away from her. She needed to sneak away while he was preoccupied, and the last thing she wanted was for him to follow her. “Come on, let’s take the backroad,” she suggested.

They snuck around the side of a line of houses until they found their way to the school courtyard, just a distance away from the school.

“Alright, Lydia should still be at school helping the professor, and chances are Phillip is there too, so what I’m going to do is get Lydia to get Phillip to get the Town Guard to get-”

“Okay, I got it, just go do it already. I’m heading for the dorms.”

He grinned, saluted, and dashed off towards the high school while Nico cut through the court. The dormitory tower came into sight and she quickened her pace. “Hang on, Clarity,” she murmured.

As soon as she reached the front of the dorm tower she stopped, turned around and crossed her arms, grinning. Mr. Riverwolf came panting right behind her.

“I knew you would follow me,” she said triumphantly, “You’re not very discrete.”

“It doesn’t matter,” he said through huffs and puffs, “I’ve caught up with Clarity, that’s all I care about.”

“Wrong,” she said, her grin spreading even wider, “This isn’t the girl’s dorm. This is the boy’s. Clarity is on the other side of the courtyard. I mislead you on purpose.”

“What?” he gasped, “Then… what about Clarity? Who’s going after Clarity?”

“I will, as soon as I get you detained,” she said, “My friend made his way back to the Town Guard when he split up with me. They’ll be on you long before you get to Clarity. Once they get through questioning you about the medicine, they’ll search your house, find your secrets, and it’ll be over for you.”

“You…!” he growled, nearly foaming at the mouth, “This isn’t a game, damn you! This is my daughter’s life!

“I’m not playing around, Riverwolf!” she shouted, “I’m making sure you go where you won’t do any more harm to Clarity ever again!”

Harm?” he laughed, “There’s no getting through to you, is there? Come here you little punk, I’ll show you harm!” He stomped her way in his blind rage. She had been waiting for this.

“That’s right you crazy bastard, come get me.” Thankfully, she always kept a pocket knife ready just in case. One of the rules of her trade, always be prepared for a rough situation.