Chapter 19: Iced Tea

Pen and paper in hand, Nico sat down in the opposite seat of her current acquaintance at one of the booths at the Killrush Korner. Abigail came at her request to be asked a series of questions for an important “quest.”

Nico adjusted the square glasses on her face. Despite having perfect vision, she felt ill prepared to perform the task without all the proper material; it was simply unprofessional. She could see through them very well, although they did not provide any purpose aside from aesthetic requirements for “professionalism.”

“You look like a total dork in those things,” Abigail snorted. The words didn’t faze Nico, being in a completely focused state of mind. She straightened the paperwork in her hand out on the table in front of them.

“Tell me when you’re ready,” she said.

“Do you even wear glasses?” asked Abigail.

“Today is a special occasion,” Nico stated, “So I borrowed them.” Far in the back where no one paid any attention, Foster fumbled around blindly searching for the glasses that were just on his face not five minutes ago.

Nico began to write. “Anyways, let’s get started. I called you in today for some information regarding the witch.”

“Aha!” Abigail exclaimed, jumping up and throwing a finger in Nico’s face, “So you finally realized there’s a witch in that forest!”

Nico nonchalantly pushed her finger out of her face. “Well, yes. It’s hard to deny the existence of a witch when Wendigo nearly tear down the entire village. Sit please.”

Abigail furrowed her eyebrows. “What’s gotten into you today? You’re too serious.”

“I take my quests very seriously, Abigail.”

Abigail’s ears perked up. “Quests?” Realization lit up on her face. “You’re not thinking of going back to the forest, are you?”

“Don’t you worry your little head about that, Abby. Just answer the questions.”

“So you’re actually going back to the-wait. Abby?” Her face scrunched into a scowl.

“Question one: Are there any relative patterns that you’ve noticed in the past three witch-related attacks; excluding the most recent of course-”

“Wait a second!” Abigail lifted her foot and kicked Gwen out of the booth seat. “I’ll answer your questions on one condition.”

Nico sighed. “And what’s that?”

“Take me with you.”

Nico had to resist the urge to get up from the table and leave immediately, leaving Abigail with a stone expression for her all to determined eyes. A waitress whose name tag red ‘Bailey’ approached the table with a jug of iced tea and filled their cups. Nico nodded at her, and she smiled with giddy excitement, going over to the corner of the room to murmur to her fellow co-workers about how she was the first to serve the elf at her store.

Nico sipped from her tea. “… And why exactly do you want to risk life and limb to trek the unknown?” Abigail’s eyes widened and immediately broke eye contact with Nico.

“W-Well, I…” Her face went red and she started to sink beneath the table. “Can I ask you a question?”

“By all means.”

She sank low enough for her nose to hide beneath the table, along with the rest of her blush. “A-Are you going out with that eye-patch guy?”

A shock more powerful than a fully ripened electric pineapple coursed through her body and caused her to spit-take like a geyser.