"Where is the man I was with? What did you do to him?" I ask. To my horror, my voice is shaking uncontrollably. I don't know if I can trust them, or what became of Alec. If they hurt him...

The man leans forward, resting his elbows on the table. He cocks his head curiously at me. "Of all the questions I expected you would ask, that was not the one I thought would come first."

I clench my jaw. "Where is he?" I repeat. The room is pitched into an uncomfortable silence as the man looks at me. I imagine that he's deciding whether or not to let me live, or maybe what lie he should tell me.

Finally, he leans back in his chair and stands. "Come with me," he says, and exits through a tunnel behind him that had been previously hidden by his giant wingspan. I rip my arm out of my captor's grip and follow the man out of the room, unsure of what to think. I don't even know if I should be afraid, but regardless of whether or not he's a threat, my body is shaking like a leaf.

The tunnels are barely wide enough for the man's wings, but they quickly widen to huge caverns that lead in every direction. There's not a single torch hanging on the walls and we would be walking in complete darkness if it weren't for the ball of fire the man holds between his hands. His vibrant red and purple wings help to illuminate the darkness as well.

"Where are we going?" I ask after a moment of silence. We've taken so many different directions that I'm sure I would never find my way out if he left me. Maybe that's his plan.

"You wanted to see your friend, did you not?" he asks. I stay quiet for the rest of the walk, feeling tiny and insignificant next to this man who exudes power and confidence. He takes a sudden right into a room and I'm so deep in thought that I almost walk right by. I follow him in.

The room is similar to the one I woke up in, but a bit smaller. The walls, ceiling, and floor are made of dark, jagged rock that shine when light from the fire washes over it, and a bed of rock has been carved out in the corner. Lying on top of it is Alec, still unconscious and as still as a statue. One arm is draped across his stomach.

The question I've been dying to ask comes rushing out. "Is he alive?"

"Barely, but yes."

"When will he wake up?"

"If he wakes up, it will have to be within the next three days. Otherwise, he will die of dehydration." The man's voice is cold, unforgiving, unfeeling. He doesn't look at me as he gives me this terrible news.

"Isn't there anything you can do?" I ask, anger flaring in my chest. The man finally looks at me, his dark eyes narrowing.

"Our healers have done all they can. Healing is a job for the fish, not for flame warriors," he says, his nose wrinkling at the mention of the water fairies. "You will just have to wait." I cross the room and sit on the floor beside Alec, leaning against the bed of rock and folding my arms over my chest. The man's eyes follow me. "What is your name?" I ignore him, focusing on Alec's shallow breaths. He clears his throat. I still don't reply. "Alright, fine. In case you were wondering who saved your life, it was I, King Cedric."

"If you're expecting a thank you, you will get it when he wakes up," I tell him. I can feel his icy blue eyes boring into me, but I don't look at him. I want him to leave. I don't care if he's a king.

"Then I hope that he wakes soon." He pauses, probably waiting for me to say something. When I don't, he continues. "I suppose you'll want to stay here for the night." I nod. I'm not moving from this spot until I know that he's okay. "I will be back with food for you tonight. Also, a word of advice: do not try to navigate these tunnels alone. You will be lost forever in the mountain." He turns, his deep red cloak trailing behind him, and exits the room. The light leaves with him, throwing the room back into eerie darkness. I move closer to Alec, shivering despite the waves of heat moving through the tunnels, and lean my head against the bed of rock. My eyes feel like weights and my entire body yearns for sleep. My stomach rumbles loudly, reminding me that I need food, but I end up falling asleep before the king's promised meal arrives.