Chapter 31

An unbelievable amount of gorgeous dresses are held to my chest in an extremely short amount of time. A few I'm even forced to try on until we settle for a lace white and sky blue one, with a pale blue corset across my middle and white stitched cacross the front and frill patterns up the sides and on the sleeves. It was the most humble dress by far that I was brought and the servants are hesitant to allow me to wear it, but in the end I have the last word.

"Well, it's not my first choice, but

"Well, it's not my first choice, but..." Drina teases. I raise an eyebrow and she smiles. "You look lovely anyway."

"Thanks to all of you," I tell them. I dip into a grateful curtsy, enjoying the feel of the soft dress around my ankles. "Shall we go see the king now?"

"Wait!" Mariena calls. She steps toward the wooden jewelry box sitting on the bed and sifts through it. She returns to me with a thin golden chain strung between her hands, a single tiny flame etched into a flat piece of metal dangling from it. She clips it around my neck and smiles. "Now we may go."

"Then let's." I return her smile to each of them and follow Mariena through the doors. Two guards are standing outside. They nod to us as we pass.

*****

The king and queen are waiting for us in a throne room past two massive wooden doors. More guards wait outside to open the doors for us to enter. Once we're inside, the doors slide closed behind us and two figures rise from the thrones across the room and walk toward us. Cassius and his wife meet us in the middle of the room, something that human royalty would never do.

"Edlyn! How wonderful it is that you awoke at last," the king says, and surprises me by pulling me into a quick hug. "This is my beautiful wife Nessi. Wife, this is the White Witch."

The queen nods respectfully to me while I curtsy. Her face and eyes are slender and long, silky black hair falls down her back. Intelligent brown eyes watch me from underneath long lashes. Several tiny gems are stuck to her skin around her eyes. She wears a cloth shaped into a dress around her body and tied tightly around her waist. She looks young, although I know she must be around Cassius' age, and she is beautiful for certain, but not in a way I would expect a royal to be. It seems that even after all these years as a queen, Nessi hasn't forgotten her roots as a servant.