Maybe It's Worth It

Jana-

"Jana..."

Hearing the guard's voice, Jana knew that he had to get up. For once, however, it wasn't because he just needed to eat or shower. Both of which he'd done very little of when in confinement. No. This time he got to go outside again, finally.

A rare excitement welled up in his chest as he sat up. An odd sensation and weight fell into his lap, drawing his attention downward. A golden dog stared up at him, one eye half-closed as its tongue lolled out to one side. His first thought was to throw it away, as he had never really liked dogs, but then he realized that he had two other pairs of eyes watching his every move and slowly closed his own eyes, trying to remember why exactly there was a dog anywhere near him.

It took him several moments, and thankfully, the other two males watching him were silent and didn't push for any kind of reaction. When his eyes finally opened to resume staring at the dog, he was slightly more comfortable with her being there. He remembered that it was indeed a her, its name something close to Tammy or Tabitha or whatever. The most important thing he remembered was that the thing was his ticket to the outside world. He craved being outside, and after weeks in solitary, he needed to get the hell out of the building. If picking up dog shit and throwing a ball for the mutt would accomplish that, then he'd do it.

Grunting to himself, he stood up. The dog dropped to the floor with the action but easily landed on her feet and hurried to sit next to Jana's right leg. He hadn't noticed earlier, but she still had her leash on, and as he was lead out of the cell, it dragged on the floor. The sound grated on his nerves, even though it wasn't very loud. It just didn't sound right. Instead of picking it up or unclipping it, he knelt down and grabbed the dog behind its front legs and pulled the collar off.

When he tossed it aside and stood back up, he could tell that Tommy wanted to say something, but wisely decided against it. Instead, he picked up the collar and leash, then continued to lead Jana toward the doors to the exercise yard. Leash or not, Tera followed right beside Jana. She stopped when he stopped. Moved when he moved.

The moment Tommy tapped in the code for the last door and the lock clicked, Jana shoved the heavy thing open easily and stepped outside. It was a crisp day, likely close to sixty degrees, if not a little colder. Wearing just pants, he felt the sting of the chill immediately, but cold day in hell, or anywhere else, he'd go back inside just to put a shirt on.

"Come on, Jana. We're going to the outer fields." Tommy said, drawing Jana's attention as he watched the guard walk toward another locked door built into the electric fence that surrounded the first exercise area that held the basketball and tennis courts, as well as a running track.

As most of those areas were in use, and quite overpopulated with people he didn't care to interact with, Jana quickly followed Tommy through the door. When it was locked behind him, Tommy turned and gestured to the large expanse of fenced-in green field before them. There was nothing to actually do when it came to sports or things of that sort in the area, but that was just fine with Jana. Just being outside made his body hum with a life he hadn't felt in a long time.

"Here. Take this bag. It's got a few poop bags, treats, tennis balls and a rope toy. You're free to do whatever you want out here as long as you keep an eye on Tera and clean up if she goes bathroom." Tommy said as Jana took the offered bag. He wasn't interested in hearing anything else, and started walking away, but when Tommy began to speak again, his bare foot halted in mid-air, before setting down slowly.

"The more you do with her, the longer you can stay out. You'll get thirty minutes from right now because, as the director and general supervisor have said, the dog needs the exercise and to relieve herself. After that, the amount of time you get depends completely on you."