Chapter 1

Beep beep new story

~~

The pitiful note was pathetic, only filling the distaste in my mouth. Somehow they thought this would fill in for my loss. Boy were they stupid. The only thing that would fill the loss is bringing them down. An eye for an eye, right?

I dropped the note to the floor, trying to refrain the hot tears that were threatening to fall. The ache in my heart was like nothing I've ever felt before, like a gut wrenching pain that made me wish to just end it all.

But that only fueled the fire for the pit of anger within me. The hate that burned inside me, the only thing that was helping me move through the day, the only thing to keep me standing on my two feet. I looked down at the note with distaste, storming up to my bedroom. I don't need to see it to know what it says, I've been staring at it so much I have it memorized by heart.

Sorry about your wife and child, it was truly an accident. We try not to hurt pedestrians but these things happen sometimes. Sorry.
-xofrnk

Pitiful, a pitiful excuse for an apology. This Frank guy has another thing coming for him if he thinks that he can just get away with this. I can see the incident every time I close my eyes. It fills my dreams every night, turning them into nightmares instead. Like it was burned into my brain with a metal rod, something that would scar me forever.

"Daddy, daddy, look at the birds!" Bandit exclaimed, tugging on my hand and pointing at the bright blue sky.

"I can see, they're very pretty," I remarked.

She smiled, skipping along in front of us. I held onto my wife's, Lindsay's, hand.

"She's so glad your home now," Lindsay said, watching our daughter spin around in a circle. "Did you get that family problem figured out?"

"Yeah, turns out my uncle left everything to his grandchild," I said. "They couldn't read his hand writing. Apparently it said Jared Way, not Gerard Way."

"Aww, no money for us," Lindsay joked.

I smiled, leaning over and kissing her cheek. I had just gotten back in town today after being gone for a week, the first thing we did was go out for ice cream. That's where we were now, walking home from the small shop.

"Does something feel...weird to you?" Lindsay whispered.

"Like what?" I asked.

I looked around at the people loitering the streets. I know New Jersey isn't the safest or cleanest place but it's still my home. The people seemed on edge almost, like they were expecting something to happen. Their hands tucked in their pockets as though they were hiding something.

"Yeah, you're right," I agreed, looking at the others skeptically.

There was less than a dozen people but I immediately didn't trust them. There was a sort of tenseness in the air.

"Let's hurry up, I have a bad feeling," Lindsay said.

Suddenly, there was the roar of an engine as two cars came squealing down the road.

"They're here! Get ready!" Someone near me shouted.

People came out from their places, pulling out very large and very illegal looking guns. Lindsay gasped, squeezing my hand tighter. The cars came to a stop near us, the windows rolled down as people started to shoot.