Had all these attempts then been for naught but misery?

For the umpteenth time since then, Hinata could only let his gaze linger upon the familiar retreating back of the setter as he stayed rooted to his spot like a statue.

The strangling emotion which was once a mere bud inside him, it grew. It grew, and it bloomed. While the emotion, itself, may be indescribable; one thing for it to be made ascertained, Hinata embraced it with all open arms. He filed in no complaints, only let himself to drown in the suffocating sentiment as each and every ounce of negativity seeped into his body.

On that day, the clouds turned a darker shade along with the sky, and little by little, droplets of rain began to spill against the ground.

Regardless of how utterly miserable he feels at this very moment, Hinata didn't cry. He would not cry over such an incredibly petty thing. There was no need to do so when the sky was already doing the favor for him. But was he angry? He definitely was, but right now, with a mixture of emotions swirling within him, he doesn't know what to feel.

And so, with a begrudging heart, he trudged towards the road which was the opposite direction from where Kageyama walked through. In his mind, he was ready to go back home. ( Homeー  where was that? ) But in his heart, he wasn't. Hinata so desperately wanted to go back.

He wanted answers. He had to-- wait, no, he needed to know the reason why Kageyama was giving him a cold shoulder, and what was it that he had done to receive such treatment.

Unbeknownst to himself, Hinata had long came to a halt in his own walk a long ago, and it was only then when he realized that his hand clutching onto the hem of his collar tightly but he paid no mind to his bicycle that fell to the side. Right now, he was only capable of thinking one thing, and that one thing was how much it hurts.

His head hurt. His chest hurt. And his heart, it was aching.

But the worst part of all was that, he doesn't know how much longer will it take for him to deal with this pain.

...

Was it possible for rivals to become friends then turn into strangers? Especially when they played a major part in your life?

Maybe. But if you kept thinking of them every now and then, then aren't they technically not strangers? In this case, Hinata doubted that Kageyama would ever become a stranger to him. Had it not been for Kageyama, Hinata probably wouldn't be the person he was today, and he never would have gotten to taste the euphoric sense of spiking Kageyama's tosses. Now, at the very least, Kageyama was tossing to him. That, itself, should be more than enough.

Yet, for some reason, Hinata remained to be distasteful about the whole thing. It made him think if he wanted more, and honestly, he thinks that he's been awfully greedy at this moment.

Hinata didn't know why was he being miserable about this whole thing. It's not as if they were friends to begin with. Besides, Kageyama was a big jerk and it was only till recently when he started to think Kageyama more as his friend and less of his nemesis-- but then, this had to happen.

Another day was to be marked off the calendar, and right now, he was inside the club room along with the few others to change their clothes. They were all readying themselves to get back home after staying back for a practice session and as the per usual, Kageyama already left, he no longer bothered to wait for Hinata so they could walk home together.

"Oi, Shrimpy. Did you do something again to piss off the king?" Hinata heard the taunts in Tsukishima's tone before he could even register his words. His eyes flickered to where the taller male was, and he watched as the blond clicked his tongue. "This has been going on for more than a week, right? Whatever you did must have been terrible since the king is now ignoring you."

When he heard this, it felt like a slap was being served to his face. It felt like a reminder had been given to him of the actual events that are happening, and how it remained unresolved. He wanted to throw a glare at the blond, he really wanted to, but after he couldn't find the heart to do so, soon enough, he settled with having an intense glaring contest with the floor in his stead; bitterness creeping in as contemplation was made on his newfound situation.

The king is now ignoring you.

That was true, because while he still seemed to be interacting with everyone else, he didn't pay attention to him. Unless he had to shrug him off to get him away.

"I don't know if I did anything wrong." Hinata finally admitted, clenching onto the sling of his bag. "I don't even know if I did something. I tried to confront him, but Kageyama... He won't tell me. He refuses to say anything. He won't even look at me."

"Hm. Sounds like you definitely did something this time."

"Tsukishima." Sugawara's firm voice cut in, and already, Hinata could feel the worried gaze the others were casting at him.

The moment when Hinata clenched his fist more tightly on his bag, it was the moment that he knew he was reaching at the peak of his limit. Mostly because he knew that Tsukishima's words were right. If he hadn't done anything wrong, then Kageyama definitely wouldn't be like this towards him. He wouldn't be ignoring him. Instead, they would have continued to do their little routine. As much as Hinata hated to admit, it was better to have Kageyama scolding him, calling him adumbass rather than this complete treatment of silence. It was slowly beginning to remind him of the day when the two fought over the complications of their quick.

Truth to be told, the tension since then seemed to have grown. Did this have something to do with that day of their argument? Here, he thought that they were starting to get along. "He's my partner," He remembered telling this to Yachi. So, why? Could it be that their relationship was worsening?

Hinata didn't think he can handle much more of this. After deciding that he had enough of this, that he didn't need anyone's pity, Hinata immediately picked his bag up and slung it over his shoulders, and he was feeling more determined than ever to get his answers. The concerned yells of his teammates by then fell onto deaf ears when Hinata ran out of the door.

It was raining heavily again, but the boy couldn't exactly bring himself to care about the weather. He doesn't care if he was about to soak himself along with the contents in his bag. He was going to chase down Kageyama, and he would demand from him for an explanation on why he seemed so adamant in avoiding him, and whether his concerning behavior had to do with their last argument. Hinata wasn't thinking properly, he knew but at this very moment, he was completely overwhelmed by his senses; both of his thoughts as well as his emotions were strewn all over the place. But right now, he was riding on the cloak of fury.

On that day, Hinata didn't know that there were hot tears leaking through his eyes as the rain pounded heavily against his small frame, matching along with every rise of his chest and the erratic beats of his aching heart as he rode on his bicycle.

But on that day as well, Hinata didn't return back home.