Chapter One

To say that Hinata felt quite disheartened was, but a misunderstanding. For the past few days, he noticed how distant Kageyama had become lately; the latter slowly slipping away from the grip the bond they both were tied to.

Of course, as Hinata isn't exactly the type of person to put things down and simply accept it the way it is, he tries to get an answerー something, anythingー out of the setter. How does he do this, you asked? There's no other than an old-fashioned way by trying to confront the taller male.

But that's when a problem arises.

Each time Hinata tried to confront Kageyama regarding the matter, Kageyama would escape under his very nose before he could even had a chance to utter a word. It displeased him, least to say. Their encounters became rather short-lived now, lasting only for a single moment as Kageyama brushed by him without sparing a glance in the corridors, and their interactions spiraled downward from long conversations once consisted of pointless topics to complete, utter silence.

Silence.

So far, that was the only thing he received.

During their practices, Kageyama faltered to pay much mind to him. With every leap that he put his energy into, and every spike that he made, his palm never managed to hit the ball. There was no lingering satisfaction, only emptiness and immense disappointment that hits him like a truck. By the time he landed and turned to look, he could only watch as the ball went to someone else. He first thought that it might have to do with his task as a decoy, he wanted to believe but then it turned out to be so much more than that when the practice went on and this treatment became prolonged with his usual daily life.

( "Kageyama, toss to me!" Hinata would shout, but the outcome will always be the same.

Kageyama ignores him. )

Every attempt that Hinata made in capturing the other's attention merely went down the flush. Thereby, it's understandable why Hinata felt more and more agitated by this. He tried to coax Kageyama into doing the usual things that they have done; tried to have lunch with him, practice with him, challenging him to a race, share meat buns with him, and tried to walk home together with him. However, his words and actions never got through. Kageyama simply moved on ahead without him, and upon knowing this, it felt as if a bucket of cold water was poured over him.

Yet, Hinata kept his head high, reasoned that Kageyama might be having a bad day, and reassured himself that everything would go back to normal the next day.

But as each day flew by, it didn't go back to normal the next day. Or the next. And the next.

"Kageyama!" Hinata called out to him again one day, "Race you to the gym!" Without waiting for the other's response, he went ahead and picked up at a faster pace after announcing the usual declaration of their race. But once he looked behind, he noticed that Kageyama never did chase after him.

And so, followed up by the next events.

"Kageyama! How was the test?"

He was blatantly ignored. Again.

"Kageyama! Let's eat lunch together!"

He was only shoved to the side. Again.

In the end, his shouts almost always went unheard.

"Hey, hey, let's go back home together!"

But Kageyama was already leaving without him, his back turned to him as the distance between them grew within each step the setter takes. Again.

How long would this continue?

Days stretched out into a week, and he slowly came to a realization that this was, in fact, not a mistake. This wasn't because of a bad day, or such the like. This was done on purpose, and it was reality. Kageyama was definitely ignoring him, and the other members of their team had taken note of this too, it seemed. The distance between them placed quite an impact on their practice matches to the point where Daichi carried out a confrontation with Kageyama, advising him to give Hinata at least some tosses and keep their personal matters out of the court. Kageyama heeded the captain's order, and for once in that week, their side finally gained victory. Even then, Kageyama remained to be adamant in ignoring him outside of practices.