Three: Dane

"How did you get these? Did you steal them?" Zal eyed me skeptically, her eyes slanting into a suspicious glare.

I shrugged, putting my hands in my hoodie pockets, "No, I just have the charm you lack."

Zalia growled at me as she stuck the baseball cap on her head. The thing with gods is that they change with the times, but also seem to stay timeless as well. The baseball cap came with a special discount with a gladiators helmet...which I of course politely declined.

"I still think it's stupid that I have to hide my eyes." She grumbled, slouching up against the stone wall of shop I was just in.

"And I don't get why you're still complaining about this." I glanced to my side, where they alley between the two shops opened up to the cobblestone street. Gods and goddesses walked from store to store, living like humans...although they dressed a little weirder. Some dressed normally while others looked like they popped out of a history book. It shocked me a little to see one woman, bellbottoms and all, walking a chimera.

Zalia huffed, blowing a strand of raven black hair away from her face, "I didn't wanna leave Kai back there..."

I clenched my fist, turning around I stared her down, "If it wasn't for me you'd still be rotting in that cell. The least you could do is be grateful." I walked out into the crowd of people. I felt like I was back in training. I would be put into a crowd of people, pressed together and moving like a swarm of fish. I would only minutes to find one person and kill them and fade back into the crowd of clothing and faces, meshing together with the population.

The first time was hard. But it got easier. Guess it was supposed to help me get over my claustrophobia.

I didn't look back to see if my...sister followed me. I just needed to find a place to stay, hide out before we had to move again. We weren't on earth, we were in the gods' domain, which meant that Nyx had eyes and ears everywhere.

Not sensing Zal's presences, I turned back to see that she was lagging behind, keeping her eyes down cast underneath the baseball cap. I smiled at my accomplishment that no one in the crowd has made the connection. It's a good thing I'm the smart one.

She caught up to me, leaning down to whisper, "Where are we going?"

"Somewhere less suspicious than an alley." I answered, dodging a few bodies walking past me. I watched each one that I passed by, unable to stop my mind from determining which gods and goddesses were actually worth killing.

Zalia looked around us as we passed a few streets. She pointed to an upcoming store, "What about that place? We can hang out there until later and move through the city at night."

"A library?" I groaned at just the idea. Books and I weren't two things that were meant to be together.

My sister rolled her golden eyes, "Quit whining you big baby. A library is the last place they would come looking for us. I'm not too big of a book buff either, but it's just something we gotta do to stay alive."

I opened my mouth to object, but before I could get a word out, a piercing shot was heard throughout the small town center. Next came the screams. The mass of bodies went from a gentle swarm of fish to a cave full of frightened bats. From what I gathered, everything was usually peaceful. The rain of gunshots was something completely new to them. Zal grabbed my hand, tugging me towards the library. Someone bumped into me, tripping on the road. I saw the look on the man's face for a brief second. He was terrified. And then he was gone. His eyes staring wide at me, almost frozen in time as others tripped over the mans body. The strange thing about it all...was not that the god was dead...but that I couldn't tell the difference from the gods temporary death or his infinite death. That bugged me.