chapter 1

Vilu's pov

*Busy streets full of people speaking loudly over at each other. A typical day in my hometown. There are always the same people, they just change moods from laughing to crying, celebrating or mourning. I should be the one celebrating today since It's my nineteenth birthday. It doesn't feel like today is any mkre special than yesterday or tomorrow though... I stepped in our house, deep down in my heart hoping that someone will be standing there with a cake or flowers. Instead, my dad was standing at the table with a paper.*

V: Hi dad... what are you holdnig?

*I asked my dad while taking off my jacket*

Vd: You're nineteen now, that means you can sign up.

*He gave me the paper he has been holding on until now and I didn't even have to read it. I knew it's an apllication for the competition.*

V: I already told you that I'm not going there.

Vd: Don't you know how important this is? You can become the queen!

*Right. My Choice. A competition that has been going on for generations. It's like a big fancy engagement party for the prince, except he has to choose his queen from the contestants. This competition starts when the crown prince turns twenty years old. It's time for him to become the king and to find a wife. All the girls between nineteen and twenty two can sign up. The prince will choose the elite eight who will live in a palace until the prince sends seven of them home. It sounds exciting to some but staying home is tge best option for me.*

V: Dad wouldn't you rather have me here with you and mum?

Vd: Of course I would. But our financial situation is not going well at all. If you get in the elite eight, the royalty will send us money. You know well how much money your mother needs. She's ill and we don't have the resources for medicine or a good doctor.

*Another fact. The elite eight's families will get money every month. A lot of money.*

V: Why do I bother trying to explain all over and over again... I'm going to my room.

Vd: You have time until tomorrow. Think about it please.

*I went to my room and jumped on the bed. I don't want to go there. Even if I had to work my ass off, I am not joining that stupid contest. Suddenly, I heard someone knocking on the window.*

V: Fran? What are you doing?

*I opened the window and Francesca came in. She's my best and only friend*

F: Your dad didn't let me see you because you two had a fight.

V: Yeah. He wants me to join the competition.

*When I mentioned the competition, Francesca's eyes sparkled and her face turned into an excited grin.*

F: You mean My Choice? It's amazing! And you should join because I am joining too!

V: So you agree with my dad... am I really the only one who doesn't like this whole... thing?