Fifteen

For the next week, I arrived promptly at eight every morning at Lord Calder's door, the first day being the worst. I had arrived close to tears, unsure of what he was planning on doing to me, my hand had been trembling when I knocked on the door.

When I was allowed entry and had taken a small peek into the room, I remember having let out the biggest breath of air, having found nothing out of the ordinary. I was half expecting Prince Adam to make an appearance.

Instead of darkness and intricate devices, the office was still an office. Yet, it felt more... homey? No, that couldn't be it.

But it was true. The huge fire was smaller, more cozy. I actually noticed another huge, plush rug in front of it this time. I swept my gaze to the desk, raising an eyebrow at the lack of papers and the huge pile of books that had replaced them, finding Calder perched in his chair, waiting.

That morning he had explained, in a neutral tone, that he was going to teach me to read more then basic, having provided reasons as to why I would need this skill. In his words, I would need reading advantages while working here due to the insane amounts of paperwork that needed filing, ingredients in the kitchen (I didn't understand that one, the kitchen staff did all the work), writing notes when needed, etc. Half of his reasons seemed more like advantages for him and the castle, not me, but I guess that was expected.

So that was how our morning proceeded, him sitting me down next to him and making me read a book titled Romeo and Juliet. I had only made it to chapter six before I had become so frustrated that I had shoved the book away and refused to read anymore. Calder had consented, calm and collected as he closed the book and waved me off, saying we were done for the morning and to return tomorrow morning.

That had continued for this whole week, ending with me finally able to read his stupid book from beginning to end with only a short break in the middle when I had acquired a headache. I had to admit, I was impressed that I had progressed that far in only seven short days with only an hour long lesson each morning.

Unfortunately, that still left the rest of my day open to interpretation. Some days I sat in the kitchen with Ms. Potts, helping out where I could or just to listen to her motherly voice, other days I spent dancing with Lumiere and the feather dusters. They definitely taught me some new things.

But as the days wore on, I found myself delving deeper and deeper into despair, worrying about the friends I left behind in order to protect them. I swore my life away for the greater good of others, and for the first time in my life I was starting to regret something I have done for the sake of someone else.

"Come, mademoiselle. There must be something we can do, you can't stay in your room forever," Lumiere tried for the fifth time to spur me into movement, attempting to get me to emerge from my bedroom. Yet, just as I had all the other times, I refused. I heard a sigh, followed by the candle hopping as he finally left. I was both relieved and a little guilty for turning him away, they'd only been nice to me this whole time.

I waited another ten minutes before sitting up, my wet hair tickling my bare shoulders since I had just cleansed myself, towel wrapped around my chest. Madam Armoire had already laid out a simple outfit for me, even she having disappeared. I sighed and let the towel drop, catching my reflection out of the corner of my eye, not able to help myself and turning to face the mirror that I had been desperately avoiding.

What I saw staring back at me wasn't much of a surprise. The dull eyes and pale face, devoid of the spark I had within me at Gaston's manor, surrounded by my brethren. My body was a little different, no longer skin and bones due to the kitchen staff piling food onto my plate every meal, orders of the caring tea pot that actually cared for my well being. Other then that, I looked awful.