Twelve

"Wake her up"

I didn't get the chance to mutter that I was, in fact, already conscious before I was splattered with a bucket of cold water.

Coughing and spluttering, while pushing sopping strands of dark hair out of my face, I opened my eyes to find the no-named lord within inches of my face.

"Rise and shine," He gave me a serpents smile, backing away and allowing me a view of what I had passed out on.

Every single slave was on their knees surrounding our masters, Thomas, Lord Calder, myself, and the other man. We were in the center of this so called circle. All of my friends were chained with another lord behind them, holding them there to watch whatever was going to happen here in the middle. I swallowed, shivering from the swift bath I was given, gown clinging to my torso. At another time I most surely would've sobbed over the ruined material.

"Prince Adam," Master Gaston raised his voice, only to be silenced with one look from the man in front of my kneeling figure.

A prince. He was a freaking prince. We were more than dead. I was so terrified, my already pale skin turning a shade lighter, my quivering increasing as I stared at the long haired man.

"Discipline" Adam began, glaring at Thomas before his steel gaze passed over my own, no ounce of sympathy within his eyes. "One of the most important qualities of a slave. You live to serve," He grabbed ahold of some random girls chin, Tara I believe, as he spoke. "If not... Well that's what we are going to address."

His gaze swept past the rest of Master Gaston's servants before turning back to Thomas and myself in the center. I couldn't help but feel a glimpse of relief. No one else was apart of this, it was just the two of us. Everyone else seemingly was going to be spared. I didn't bring anyone down with me, just as I had wanted.

"Why would you want to leave your master's hospitality? They give you food, shelter, protection. Why would you run away?!"

Prince Adam's voice had risen until he was roaring, placing one of his large hands upon Thomas's face and slamming him backwards back into the floor, making me exclaim in surprise and begin silently crying again. He must be in so much pain, probably close to blacking out again. I honestly hoped he would soon, maybe the royal would leave him alone.

Royal.

Prince Adam was a true royal. One of the few left in this whole side of the country. So much power within one man was the worst thing this community needed.

I was frozen in shock as said royal began slamming Thomas's head back into the marble flooring over and over again. Then proceeded to lift him up by the front of his one nice, crisp dress shirt. He had him completely suspended in the air, the servants head lolling like a dead weight. Unconscious already. And then he dropped him.

That was it, that put me into motion. It's funny how someones pain did that.

"Stop! Please! I beg you!" I scrambled up from my keened over position, stumbling over my soaking dress and throwing myself over Thomas's unconscious form, head laid over his heart as I bravely, well as bravely as I could, met the gaze of a royal.

His eyes were still a gorgeous blue, that hasn't changed. But they possessed something darker, more closed off yet at the same time open. He wanted me to see his demonic side. The beast inside him. I wanted to hurl.

"And you, kitten," Adam mused, lowering his raised hand and slowly walking around the pair of us, gaze never once leaving mine. "Raising a hand to your mistress when all she does is care for you, expend her resources to clothe you, house you, and then also give you a job. She didn't have to do such a thing" He continued, hands waving around in the air and seeming to count off the things that my masters 'lovingly' did for us.

"Alas, you aren't much of a problem. It's him that will be coming with me. Tonight" His voice told us that the decision was finalized, no one could argue such a point. Except me. I opened my mouth before thinking.

"No."

Prince Adam whirled to face me, his breathing intensifying at my quick defiance, obviously not used to someone contradicting him. Seems there was a first for everything.

"What was that?" He growled through clenched teeth.

"I said no, my lord" I answered back with surprising clarity, voice staying steady and strong. Thomas rustling beneath me made my heart clench, I didn't want him awake for what I was about to do. I began to climb off of him, caressing his cheeks and planting my lips quickly to his before standing up to my full height.

I should've known I wasn't going to be able to speak out without some kind of backlash, but I still wasn't ready for his hand to come flying up and basically smack me backwards. I ended up tripping over Thomas and cracking the back of my head against the marble ballroom floor. Stars began swimming across my vision. I groaned.

"You didn't... Let m-me finish" I managed to huff out, squeezing my eyes shut in pain. But I knew I had the lords attention. I pushed myself so I was up and leaning on my elbows.

"Take me instead"

Those three words would change my life forever, as evidence from the royals eyes widening in surprise before he nodded once. Lord Calder stepped forward as someone else in the room began screaming and crying, just as I was bawling.

Em. I forgot about Em. I'd be leaving her behind in this hellhole. But I knew she'd be safest here, away from Prince Adam.

Strong arms hauled me to my feet. But soon after, seeing my continued swaying and my inability to stay on my feet, instead lifted me up into their arms, my head against a warm chest.

At this point I was too tired to do anything else, I didn't even fight. I was just done. Thomas was no clear from Prince Adam, and Em was going to be safe here. I had saved my friends. I was expendable.

"You're in for it, little one"

That soft murmur was all I heard before my head lolled back against their shoulder, and I let the darkness engulf me.

---

OMG! 1.2k reads! Thanks so much. Lol, I'm surprised you guys like this so much. Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy!

- Flynn
2/5/16