It was easy for her to say. She didn't lose her parent in an accident. She didn't lose her mother. She didn't lose her best friend, like I did.

  "She was her sister too, Cade," my mind reminded me.

  Silence clawed at us, sinking its paws deeper. It was painful to even manage a few words.

  She sighed, stood up and placed the black dress she brought for me on the bed and started heading to the door. She was just about to turn the doorknob when I spoke-

    "I'm coming," I said meekly. She turns around and looks at me. Her eyes turned watery and glistened with unshed tears. The corners of her mouth twitched upwards into a small, sad smile and she nodded before leaving me alone with my thoughts, thoughts painful enough to engulf me.

    With a determined and steady heart, I decided to stand up from my raccoon.

  I sighed and walked towards my study table where my favorite picture of my mother lied. It was a picture that was taken a few years ago at the local carnival. I had a large pink candyfloss in my hand and was grinning goofily with my braced teeth while my mother was grinning just like me. Our eyes were shinning with happiness. Satisfaction was etched on our faces. I loved that picture despite of the fact that I looked terrible with my thick rimmed glasses and braces while my mother looked like some goddess. I loved it because it was one of the best days of my life. The picture was clicked by my father because he claimed in his words 'my photography skills put actual photographers to shame'. Well yes he did click quite a good picture but was I ever going to admit that? Nope. I smiled to myself as I remembered that day. It was undoubtedly one of the best days of my life.

  I averted my attention from the photo to my phone that lied beside it. I picked it up and scanned through it.

   38 missed calls from Hailey.

   64 messages from Hailey.

   13 voice calls from Hailey.

And a few messages from my distant relatives saying that they are sorry for my loss and messages that indirectly imply that they pity me and all that bullcrap. I didn't check those messages out. I scrolled through the messages that Hailey had sent me.

'Babygirl? You okay, I heard about your mum's accident. I'm extremely sorry I'm out of London right now and will come back asap. I can't even type rn, my hands are shaking so bad. She will be okay, I promise.' This was sent the day the accident happened. My mum was in a critical condition. Well, Hailey didn't keep here promise was all I could think of as another jolt of tears hit me.

  'Look you're scaring me. Pick up the god damned phone or else I'm going to kill you.' This message was sent the day when my mum was no more, three days ago.

  And many such messages later I finally reached the last message.

  'I'll be there in five. Don't worry. I'm with you and don't shut me out or else you're dead.' It was sent a few minutes ago.

  I stared at the message and looked at the time it was sent. It was sent at 3:45 p.m. It's 3:55 p.m. now. Crapity crap! She'd be here any moment now.

  And just on cue a car pulled up in the driveway of my house. I looked out of the window to see my best friend Hailey coming out of the car. She looked miserable. Her hair was out of the place and just like Aunt Becca her black dress was also creased. I just saw her like yesterday. But I just saw her. She tried talking to me but I shut her out. She wanted to be with me but I ignored her. I needed some time and space to clear out my head. She understood and gave me some space. She knew I needed time and I still did. But she was way too stubborn and to let me mourn alone. I knew she had promised to stay with me forever through thick and thin but sometimes I appreciate a little space, at least when times were miserable. This time it was the worst in the past few years.