Chapter ten - Building Blocks For Grown Ups

my hands hurt so much they go so stiff when i try to write but im trying really hard. you mght get regular updates from now on-- on magnetic stars at least

---- ---- ---- ----

'I miss you.'

"Well," Dewees said slowly, staring at the message on Gerard's phone. "That's not creepy at all."

"Shut up," Gerard mumbled sullenly. "We're not fucking or anything."

"Christ, Gerard." Dewees choked on a laugh. "That's not what I was thinking at all. Well, it wasn't what I was thinking up until you said it and put the idea in my head."

Gerard squirmed and punched Dewees in the shoulder. "We're just sort of friends."

"Like–" Dewees paused. "Email pen pals or something?"

"No," Gerard scoffed. "We've never even emailed before now. I totally forgot about the school email system. I guess he was just bored."

"Or horny."

"Shut the fuck up, you ass."

"You shut up." Dewees smiled sweetly, because he was a total ass and hated Gerard. "I'm lovely." He scratched the back of his neck. "So, do you have a crush on him or something?"

"No," Gerard said. He'd never had a crush on anyone. It was probably going to stay that way. People were stupid. Maybe except Mr Iero, but it just wouldn't be logical to have a crush on him. He was a teacher. "He's just cool. He likes Black Flag, you know."

Dewees raised his eyebrows. "Really? Maybe I should get talking to the guy. Does he give you 'A's for free?"

Gerard rolled his eyes. "No, he gives me 'A's because I'm good at English."

Dewees frowned. "Alright then, if you're so good at English, how do you spell antidisestablishmentarianism?"

Gerard stared at Dewees.

Dewees stared at Gerard. "Go on, spell it," he said.

"I-T," Gerard said smartly.

"Oh man, that was clever," Dewees laughed. "An asshole move, but clever, I will admit. Maybe you really are good at English."

"Of course I am."

"Why're you in the special class then?"

"I have," Gerard said carefully, "a lot of disorders, and stuff."

"Huh. Hey, d'you know Pete Wentz? He's in your class, isn't he?"

"Yeah," Gerard said. "Why?

"I've seen him with your sister a lot."

Gerard choked on his own saliva, then recovered himself, and grabbed Dewees' collar. He gritted his teeth. "What?"

Dewees' eyes bulged. "They were just talking. Jesus. And I only saw them a few times."

"Where?" Gerard hissed.

"At one of those stoners' parties. Y'know? Not that I go to those often. I think he invited her or some shit."

"But Wentz is a fucking dickhead."

"No, dude, he was really nice to her. Like a proper gentleman. He defended her and everything when these jocks called her a tranny."

Gerard loosened his grip on Dewees' collar, and after a few moments, let go. "Really?"

"Yeah, he fuckin' totalled the one dude's car. It was great."