Privet Drive.

Harry stared morosely out of the window of his tiny bedroom, flopping the hair out of his eyes. Privet Drive looked back at him in silence.

The lane was eerily quiet, and the only light was coming from the lamp post near the bench across the street. An owl hooted in the night. The leaves rustled and swayed in the night wind. He could hear the distant sound of a cricket chirping.

The lined trees made Privet Drive look like the perfect neighbourhood where all the perfect families lived their perfect lives. Harry let out a snort of derision at the absurdity of it all. Aunt Petunia and her obsession with keeping up appearances was indeed something they shared with their whole neighbourhood.

He yawned. It was 1 am and he was finding it difficult to sleep. There were 2 more weeks to go for him to get back to Hogwarts which sounded like a decade to him. His stay with his Uncle and Aunt was never pleasant, and this time was no different. They were never happy to see him and he shared their sentiments exactly.

However, he had left no stone unturned to tell his Muggle relatives that he had a Godfather who was alive. His Uncle and Aunt detested wizards and this information had displeased them as much as it had startled them. It was precisely the reaction he had hoped for.

Although this news was not well received in itself, Harry added that his Godfather was a murderer and had killed thirteen people. Uncle Vernon had gone purple at that news and Aunt Petunia had let out a squeak of terror.

Seizing his chance, Harry had done his best to give his smoldering look which conveyed, "he might kill you too".

Apparently, it had worked and his aunt and uncle had decided that it was best to just let him live in the house and pretend he didn't exist. It worked for him as well, since he had escaped the constant taunts and jibes, but it did make him feel terribly lonely.

He sighed. There was nothing to be done for it. He opened the letter he had received from Ron and read it again for the 4th time.

Dear Harry,

Hope you are well and the Muggles are not bothering you a lot. I had a dream last night that your Uncle fell on top of you in a vain attempt to crush you to death and you ended up conjuring a Patronus in your panic. It did nothing for you of course, and you choked to death. Well, hope nothing like that ever happens.

I am fine here. Fred and George are driving Mom nuts. Yesterday she was cooking and stepped on the Blistering blooper bug. She hasn't stopped yelling since and has refused to take the Simmer Down toffee they offered her to cure it. So, her foot now has a huge yellow ugly blister which is just getting bigger and turning purple now and she's starting to resemble the One Legged Squid story we used to be told in our childhood. Oh, but you probably don't know it ..sorry Harry I forgot.

Percy has been gifted a new owl by Mom and Dad because he is such a handsome clever boy. And I am stuck with Pig. He keeps yacking away so much that I can't sleep at night. Anyway, Hermione sent me a letter yesterday and was telling me you sounded lonely. I told her right away that it isn't true of course...Harry isn't lonely because he has me and you. Women I tell you, saying rubbish all the time. She kept asking me if I was still taking Divination this year and I told her yes. I think she's feeling grumpy because she's the only one who left that class. I told her to just concentrate on Arithmancy and leave the horrific deaths in tea leaves to us. *chortles*

We wanted to invite you to our place this summer. Mom has been going on about it all the time but Dumbledore apparently told them Harry HAS to stay at his Uncle's place this summer and that it was very important that he did. So tough luck mate. I dunno what Dumbledore's deal is...an odd one..that.

Anyways, I have to go now. Mom's calling me to degnome the garden and help with the housework since she has only one leg now. See you soon Harry.

Ron

P.S- Send Pig back with some old batteries. Dad's been asking for them all weekend.

Harry couldn't help but smile after reading Ron's letter. He had sent Pig back with some musty old batteries and Pig had nearly dropped straight to the ground as he threw him out of the window with them. Eventually though,he flew away.

Suddenly a tap on his window made him jump. Hedwig was back from her hunting. He opened up the window, let her in and once again thanked Sirius Black that Hedwig was allowed to roam freely in this house. She settled on his shoulder, nipped him and flew back to her cage.

Harry sighed again. And wondered what the deal with Dumbledore was. Why was he so intent on making Harry stay here instead of at the Burrow? It didn't make any sense and he was feeling grumpy and angry at Dumbledore for increasing his misery.

He wished he had Dobby for company....even the house elf would have been better than this.

He stared in the mirror and frowned. He should have just gone with Sirius on his offer to live with him. If only Pettigrew hadn't escaped. That slimy little bastard. How he wished he could have reversed that day!

***** Author's note - This is my first attempt at a Harry Potter fanfiction. I am a big fan of Harry Potter. So, please leave a vote or a comment if u like it to encourage me. And bear with me folks! It starts slow but trust me, it gets waaaaaayy more  interesting! Just stick with it, and u won't be disappointed! *********