"Great. Thank you so much for coming."

She nodded and blushed. I smirked because I already knew what she was thinking about. The trip was a week ago and we haven't really talked since then. We talked but not about that.

She handed Ro to me while she went to run her a warm bath. After doing that she came back and told me to bathe her while she cooked.

Za'Rayah POV

I stirred the egg noodles in the pot,  along with the seasonings and boiled chicken.

I took a taste test and it was perfect. My phone rang as I flipped the switch, turning off the stove.

"Hello?"

"Would you like to take the charges for this fall from Cameron Pale?", the automated machine asked.

Cameron? My mom's ex...

"Yes."

The call switched and his voice appeared.

"Za'Rayah?"

"What do you want Cameron?"

"I wanted to call and check on you."

"Okay I'm fine what is it?"

"My trial is in a month. I know your gonna testify."

"Yeah and...?"

My attitude was in full swing. How do you expect me to speak to my mama's murderer?

"I'm just asking for you to tell the truth. You don't have to protect me. I know my wrongs."

"Protect you? Nigga, fuck you! I don't give a damn about you, so why would I protect yo' ass. I hope they sentence you to fuckin' life."

He said making my Chicago accent flair out.

"Rayah I- I'm sorry. I never meant to kill her."

"Don't call me again.", I said hanging up.

I hadn't noticed my tears until I was gasping for air. I can't believe he had the audacity to call me.

My shoulders moved up and down as I cried. I covered my face with my hand. I groaned loudly as I felt a hand touch my shoulder. I turned to see Chris.

"You good?", he asked.

I nodded, keeping my composure.

"No your not.", he said with a saddened face.

"Then why the fuck did you ask!", I said a little louder than I intended. He grabbed my arm pressing me against the counter.

"Listen here, you not gonna take your anger out on me. I'm tryna' help yo ass. I already know it has something to do with your moms and it's completely okay to feel angry because of it, but you not bout shut me out. Let me be here for you.", he said peering into my eyes. I just nodded and hugged him.