"We should stop," I tell Alec after he has another fit of coughing. He shakes his head, but he sways a bit and I steady him before he falls. He pulls his arm out of my grip and keeps walking forward, coughing again. His wings are duller, almost the same color they were when he was dead.

The sky is overcast all day. It begins to rain again after we pause to eat, instantly soaking us once more. Alec attempts to grow a grapevine, but after nearly ten minutes, he only manages to create a few green tomatoes. We eat them anyway, despite the bitterness.

By the time night falls, the rain hasn't let up

By the time night falls, the rain hasn't let up. The sky is quickly becoming darker, signaling that another storm is on the way. Alec has been shivering nonstop and random bouts of coughing and sneezing attack him constantly. The shadows under his eyes have darkened and he can barely stand by himself. Sometimes he even swallows his pride and accepts my offers to help, putting an arm around my shoulders and leaning against me.

We spend the night underneath another tree, this one much worse than the last at keeping water off of us. Before sleeping, Alec tries to grow food, but he can't even grow a single grape. He tells me to wake him up in a few hours so I can rest and then quickly falls asleep. Minutes later, his wings shrivel and shrink into his back, disappearing completely. I decide to let him sleep the whole night.

The sun has been up for a few hours when Alec stirs and, with a little trouble, sits up

The sun has been up for a few hours when Alec stirs and, with a little trouble, sits up. He doesn't seem to notice the absence of his wings, or maybe he expected them to disappear.

"Why didn't you wake me?" he asks, holding a hand to his head. His skin has taken on a pale yellow color and he's sweating despite the cold. During the night, I discovered that his fever has worsened.

I don't answer, stifling a yawn. I'm not in the mood to argue. Apparently Alec isn't either, for he forgets he asked the question altogether.

He doesn't attempt to call food from the ground today. He gets to his feet with great difficulty and then stumbles. I steady him, wordlessly putting my arm around his waist and supporting the majority of his body weight. Alec is breathing heavily despite the slow pace that we walk at.

I feel like we get nowhere after walking for hours, but eventually the peaks of huge black mountains come into view in the distance

I feel like we get nowhere after walking for hours, but eventually the peaks of huge black mountains come into view in the distance. In the center of the mountain range is a mountain that dwarfs the rest of them. I can only assume it's Mount Inferno.

"We're almost there!" I tell Alec breathlessly. I'm exhausted from practically dragging him for miles, but I'm filled with renewed vigor when I see our destination at last. I take a step forward, but Alec slumps against me. I say his name, shake him, but he's unconscious. His forehead is ice cold. Panic fills me instantly, but I force myself to think straight. He's still breathing. There's still a chance for him to make it.

I pull Alec back to his feet. My arms scream with the effort of holding him up after hours of it already, but I bite my tongue and march forward as quickly as I can.

My body is running on fumes. My legs and my arms are burning. My lungs feel like they're on fire. But on I go, the mountains closer with every step.

Mount Inferno is surrounded by a wide trench of lava, but a narrow strip of rock arches across it, creating a very, very dangerous bridge.

Alec is getting colder by the minute. He doesn't have much time left. So I start toward the bridge.

Something dark I hadn't noticed before is moving across the bridge when we reach it.

"Please help," I beg whoever it is, my vision blurring. My muscles are shaking. I squeeze my eyes shut for a second. When I open them, my vision is clear again. My eyes focus on the dark shape now levitating over the bridge, flying at us at a breakneck speed. A dark fairy. My arms give out and Alec falls to the ground. I scream for help with the remainder of my strength, and then everything fades to black.

 I scream for help with the remainder of my strength, and then everything fades to black

Pretty pretty please leave a vote/comment if you enjoyed this part! :)