Chapter THREE: Can't Let You Go

NYLA

Dealing with Darnell was a lot to handle. He was giving me a hard time and asking me a thousand questions about Kenneth What he did? How could he afford the things he had? Did I love him? Did I kiss him? Did I miss him? I told him whatever I felt he needed to hear, none were true answers but I knew I couldn't tell him. 

"He thinks he's a bad ass. I can be a bad ass too." Darnell said as we laid in bed that night. 

"I know babe." I laughed. 

"I don't want you seeing him anymore. Just let him talk to Kenzie and leave it at that." He said. 

"How old are you?" I asked him already knowing.

"What?" 

"How old are you?" I repeated.

"25." He answered.

"How old am I?" I asked. 

"21. What does this mean?" He asked.

"It means we're both grown and you need to stop worrying. " I said as I kissed him. 

"You're right." He smiled and kissed me back.

"I love you." He said.

"I love you too." I whispered as I curled up to him and went to sleep. 

I woke up the next morning to Mackenzie giggling and talking downstairs. I looked up and saw Darnell was still asleep. I got out of bed and rushed down to see what was going on. Just to find Mackenzie eating cereal and watching cartoons with Kenneth. I sighed. 

"Mommy, Kenneth came to visit me, like he promised." Mackenzie smiled.  He gave me a glare when she called him by his name. I figured now would be the time that we let her know, together. 

"Kenzie, I have news for you." I said as I took a seat next to her on the floor. 

"What is it mommy?" She asked getting excited.

"Okay..so, you know how you have mommy.." She nodded to show me she was listening, "So, this is daddy." I said pointing to Kenneth.

"Amazing explaination." He whispered sarcastically as we both stared at her. She made a scrunched up face and she really looked like me. I was trying not to laugh. 

"Well..I always wanted a daddy." She finally said, she got up and hugged Kenneth. 

"So you can't call me Kenneth anymore, what do you call me?" He laughed.

"...Daddy." She said guessingly. 

"Good job, babygirl." He said and kissed her cheeks. 

That went well, I thought to myself. 

"What a cute little family." Darnell scoffed as he came down the stairs, he was fully dressed and ready to go. 

"Darnell," I got up and followed him outside. "Please, don't be upset." I said as he opened his car door. 

"I'm not. Do your thing." He said as he got in and drove off. 

I sighed and went back into the house. Kenneth continued to talk and play with Mackenzie, I headed upstairs to take a shower. My dad was suppose to be here any minute to take Mackenzie out for the day. I spent time sorting out my thoughts in the shower and lost track of the time. I heard my doorbell ring and I hopped out of the shower. I rushed to put on my robe and stood at the top of the stairs. My dad was speaking with Kenneth very unpleasantly. I decided to let him have his moment and not interupt. 

KENNETH

I heard the door bell ring and opened it to see Nyla's father.

"Hey, Mr - "