"Nope," Miren replied. Her eyes didn't move. "I'm sorry if you're bored."

"Don't worry about it," she dismissed, playing with a saltshaker. "If you feel stuck, why don't you just evaluate your options?"

"Because I have none."

Chara looked a bit taken back. "Okay, Gloomy Gilda, be that way. But it isn't going to help anything."

Miren sucked the bitter air with a hiss through her teeth. This situation couldn't be helped. She was beginning to reevaluate the death option.

"Let's see," Miren started, "I can't go back. I don't know where to go. Let alone what school will accept me with that YouTube video out there...and I can't drop out of school, either."

"Sure you can." It was the waitress. She set their meals down on the table. She had vibrant, child-like eyes that contrasted against her near middle-aged face. "My brother has a PhD and he's poorer than me. Actually, we're looking for jobs here." She smiled a crooked, yellow smile.

Miren gave a forced, half grin. "I'll consider it."

The waitress nodded, "The name's Faye. Just holler." She offered them silverware. "Enjoy your meals."

When she was out of sight, Miren's face returned to a frown. It felt natural.

Chara bit off a fry before slathering ketchup over them. "You know, you could just—" Her eyes fell to her friend's meal. "Wait. You got coffee and a salad?"

Miren raised her eyebrows. She was hoping the bitter taste of coffee would burn away the urge to cry. As for the salad...she just liked salad.

She took of her glasses, becoming part of the haziness that was her life. "Yes? Is that a problem?"

Chara smiled. "Wow, you really are a buzz kill."

"Just eat what you ordered from the kid's menu," Miren said, using her fork to stab her lettuce.

"Hey! She gave it to me," Chara defended. "Everyone always thinks I'm ten."

"Aww, how adorable," Miren commented, with fake enthusiasm on her tone. "Is the short Japanese girl upset?"

"I'm five-five," Chara said. "And yes, I am. I'm beautiful. Not cute." She flashed her a dimpled smile. Miren rolled her eyes.

They ate in silence. But halfway through her burger combo, something was eating at Chara. She looked a Miren.

"I know this whole thing is little rash—and I don't mind—but why don't you just..."

"Just what?" Miren took a sip of her coffee. It didn't help.

Chara was tapping her fingers against the table again. "...go home?"

"Go home?" Miren repeated. Chara nodded.

Laughing. Miren let out a hearty laugh. It was genuine, and perhaps the first time she had done so in a while. She recovered soon after the uproar started, which did little to reassure her friend that her sanity was in check.

"I don't have a home," she then said, her tone serious. "I'm an emancipated minor."

Chara's eyes widened. "Seriously? How?"

Miren shook her head. It was messy. "I used to live with my shitty aunt in Massachusetts. But I got a scholarship to go to the same middle school with Penelope. I actually lived with her family for two years. And then last year I was emancipated. And because I've been enrolled in boarding school, it hasn't been a problem. In fact, that's why the whole process went through."