Strict Parents

Authors's Note:

Hi Wattpaders! Hope you enjoy this chapter! I did it in, like, a day and a half so it may not be as thought out as my other chapters. This more like a filler.... I hope you enjoy! :))

Chapter 6

After school had ended I rode with Mike and Linda so they could take me home. Old Betsy (my red, beat up BMW) hasn’t been running quite smoothly lately so I had to take it to the nearby car shop. They hadn’t diagnosed the problem yet, though they knew that it had to do with the motor. I just hoped that it would be fixed by this weekend.

Because Linda had no car—due to her parents being overly protective—Mike took her to school almost every day. They lived close together so it wasn’t really a big deal. After dropping her off first, because she lived closer to the school that I did, Mike took me home.

“Bye, Mike. Thanks for the ride.” I stepped out of the vehicle, but didn’t close the door just yet.

“Sure. Do you need a ride tomorrow?” he asked.

I casually let my gaze travel around, and suddenly noticed the familiar, red truck sitting on the driveway next door. I assumed that Kayden and his mother (at least I thought it was his mother) were bringing boxes and their belongings to their new house again. I wondered if they would be moving in soon. It was a possibility. They had been coming over almost every day. It was only a matter of time before they would officially be moved in.

“El?”

I averted my gaze from the rusty house and to Mike. “Sorry, Mike. I must be caught up in my own, little world today.” I laughed lightly.

“I’ve noticed. You know, El, if you ever need to talk to anyone…I’m here.” He gave me that soft, gentle smile that made my legs go numb and my heart beat at an abnormal speed.

“Thanks, Mike; I appreciate it. It means a lot to me,” I said with a smile.

“Sure.” He nodded. “I’ll see you later. So, um, do you need a ride tomorrow? I can pick you up if you do.”

“Are you sure? Lindy needs you to pick you up, too. I don’t want to be a bother…”

“Stop being so nice.” Mike rolled his eyes. “Of course I’ll pick you up. Linda only lives a couple of minutes away from me, and you’re only, like, ten minutes away. No big deal,” he assured.

“Are you sure?”

“Positive.”

“Okay. Thanks—“

“Kayden, please stop being so disrespectful. I’m getting tired of your attitude,” the blonde woman who I predicted was Kayden’s mother said as both Kayden and her walked out of the house next door.

Kayden rolled his eyes. “Yeah, well—“ He stopped talking once noticing that Mike and I were staring at the bickering two.

The blonde woman looked at Kayden with confusion before slowly letting her eyes wonder over to Mike and I. A bright, friendly smile grew on her face once noticing us. “Hello! I’m Tracey Maxwell! This is my son, Kayden. We’re the new neighbors,” she announced,

Kayden rolled his eyes. He then glanced between Mike and I, and a small smirk grew on his lips.

“Hi, I’m Elyse Blackheart. This is my, uh, friend Mike Jones. It’s nice to meet you.” I smiled politely.

Mike’s eyes curiously studied both Kayden and Miss Maxwell for a moment or two, before a smile stretched across his lips. “Hi.”

“Well it’s very nice to meet you two. Kayden is actually attending Jefferson High. Do either of you or both of you go there?”