The Letter

~Not edited

Chapter 24

It was finally Christmas. My yard was slowly filling with pure whiteness as the clouds released minuscule flecks of snow. The chilly hair was calming, though the grey sky had made everyone sullen. But luckily, the bright lights, the ones hanging on every house, every building, were able to uplift everyone’s negative mood as the days had gotten closer to the big twenty-five. Now it was here.

I had finally finished my Christmas shopping yesterday, even though I probably shouldn’t have due everyone being utterly furious and disappointed with and/or in me, most likely not wanting to receive a gift from me because of that certain issue. But I thought it would be nice . . . to give them something. Anything. It was Christmas, after all. I may even do it as an anonymous. I was still contemplating.

My family was already down stairs opening gifts, but I thought it would be too awkward, so I stayed in my room, rereading the letter Kayden had given to me.

I still couldn’t believe it. How could he have just left, without any goodbye? I had cried my eyes out (it seemed I had been doing that a lot lately) after reading the letter. But I couldn’t help it. Everything he says in it, the passion radiating from his words, and knowing he was truly gone—it made me so emotional, so heartbroken. Maybe that was how Mike had felt like when I had told him about Kayden and I, but a thousand times worst.

Dear Elyse, I read. I wanted to say thank you, for everything—for helping me and guiding me, leading me. It’s been a journey, but it’s time for me to go. The other night, when I was at your window, throwing rocks, I wanted to tell you. Even at the dance I wanted to. But I just couldn’t. Not after all of that tension . . . and then you cried. It would be all too much. My dad, I think he’s changed. I’m not sure if it’s true or not, but I think so. I remember you telling me about God and stuff, and I thought I’d read the Bible, you know, just to read it. And a scripture from the passage has been stuck in my head ever since:For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.”

I think it means to forgive someone, even if they have done some horrible things to you, and just to let go of the past. I thought I’d try it, just to see where it takes me.

Also—I continued—I have some other things to tell you, and this may come as a shock to you at first, but I need you to know. I think I love you, at least like you. A lot. Why? I don’t know. You’re sometimes bossy, bratty, stubborn, a crybaby . . . but you’re you. I don’t know what love is, and maybe it’s a bad time to be telling you this because I left, and, you know, we’re so far apart, but it’s how I feel. I don’t know if your feelings are mutual . . . but yeah.

I stopped reading. The rest talked about where he was living, and how I could contact him if I ever needed to. I just couldn’t proceed. It was too hard, and I knew I would cry if I resumed. Plus, I had spilled way too many tears in the past couple of days—no, months.

My hands flew to my face, pressing against my palms, hard, as I clenched my teeth and squeezed my eyes shut, preventing the tears from falling. Then, all of a sudden, a soft boom flow around my room, and I looked down to see the bible I had bought for Kayden. Picking it up, I eyed it. It was created for teens, and I believed Kayden would enjoy it—the Bible. I had decided on mailing it to him today. Inside was a letter, one that was short and sweet and nothing mushy. It was short, semi-valuable, and something for him to remember me by.

I wasn’t sure if we would meet again, I thought, tracing the Bible with my finger and raising my head, and I wasn’t sure if we would ever even talk again. But I was absolutely sure of the fact that I loved him, and I was also sure he would be in my heart for quite a long time, at least until after someone new came along. But the very thought of knowing he felt the same way had made me resent the idea and stomp on it, to continue dreaming about him and I. All I wanted to do focus on was the present.

Maybe Kayden and I would meet again, I couldn’t help but think, and if we do, we could start over, have a fresh star. It would be a new slate for the both of us.

I sighed, looking out my bedroom window and at the falling snow.

 Wow . . . Never would I have ever thought that being neighbors with the bad boy would have turned out to be this much work. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N

Not long at all . . . oh, well. This is finished! Yay! Sequel will be up . . . sometime or another. Really looking forward to some comments! 

I want to give everyone a thanks--especially to FaithP, cwawesomegirl123, BrattneyF, and swimmergirl123 for sticking with the book and helping. It means so much. 

Sorry this left off kind of . . . hastily. Like I said, there will be another book coming out. And, I mean, you have to remember I am a realist, so not all of my stories will be happy . . . but they're life, and life isn't always happy. But it's not always sad either. None of my stuff if really tragic, though. Lol.

THANK YOU SO MUCHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

Love you all so much,

Bri<33333333333333333333333

I have news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! decided that, instead of a sequel, I would make a spin off . . . of Linda.