chapter 2 ⚔ Honor Thy Family

After dark, on a building rooftop, suited up, I was fighting several men. Man 1 tried to punch. I ducked, punching him in the face, in the chest, pushing him aside. Two men ran toward me from either side. I jumped up to kick them both, making them fall, turning to another man who ran toward me, backhand punching him so hard I sent him flipping through the air before he fell to the ground. Man 5 aimed a gun at me. I drew my sword as a shield from the bullets, using it to slash into his hand and make him drop the gun. I walked toward the three remaining guys, using the hilt of the sword to hit against Man 5's head to make him fall unconscious. Man 6 spun to try to kick me. I ducked, punching him in the face hard enough to make him fall unconscious, turning to Man 7.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Man 7 told me. "Please, wait, wait!"

I pointed my sword at him. "Marcus Redman."

"Please," Marcus told me. "No, please, no. Don't hurt me, please."

"Cell phone, inside your pocket, call your partner," I told him. "Tell him to give those pensioners back their money. Now."

"Okay," Marcus told me. 

After he did as told, I walked away.

The next day, I walked downstairs in the Queen mansion, into the living room where Oliver, Thea, Walter and Moira were watching the news.

"Over the past 15 years, Mr. Redman has withdrawn more than 30 million dollars from the plant's account. Mr. Redman claims refunding the Halcyon pension plan has always been his intent. But sources say Redman was coerced by a vigilante, the girl in blue."

A drawing of me in the suit and mask appeared, unable to tell my identity.

Oliver looked at his family. "This girl gets more air-time than the Kardashians, right?"

"Five years on an island and you still know who they are," Thea told him.

"I've been catching up," Oliver told us. "It's nice to see how much our culture has improved while I was away."

"No, the city used to be different," Moira told us. "People used to feel safe."

"Oh, what's the matter, Mom?" Thea asked. "Afraid we're gonna be next?"

Moira stood, looking at me. "Morning, Jill. You seem to be better."

I nodded. "Time heals all, right?"

Walter nodded. "Do you have any questions about today? A simple proof-of-life declaration. Just read out a brief prepared statement to the judge, and then your death-in-absentia judgments will be voided."

"I'll be fine," I told them.

Oliver nodded in agreement. "I know what to do. I've been in a courtroom before."