Chapter Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

Dia and Vidhi both felt as if the ground had disappeared.

The other person was Abhay.

"Sorry I'm late, guys, but I wanted to introduce you to someone," Ananya said.

For an awkward moment, silence followed her statement. Then Dia shot to her feet in disbelief, her temper already flying high. "Sorry, but this is a girls' night. No escorts allowed." She looked pointedly at Abhay, who seemed totally unfazed by her comment, but Ananya gasped.

Her smile vanished, and she looked stunned. Then anger filled her dark brown eyes, and she said, "I invited him, Dia, and he's my guest. I'd like you to be at least civil." She looked like she was going to say more, but Abhay caught her arm and stopped her, shaking his head. She pursed her lips, still looking stunned and angry, but didn't say anything. Dia's eyes narrowed at the unspoken understanding between the two.

Abhay turned to the others and said, "I'm sorry if I intruded on your night, but we already called Geet, and she said it was okay if I came. However, I think I've just made it all very awkward, and made myself some pretty dangerous enemies," his eyes twinkled at that. "So... I'll just leave. I hope I didn't spoil anything."

"Wishful thinking," Dia retorted, and his lips twisted into an amused smile.

He didn't answer, but glanced at Ananya and saw her murderous expression. He couldn't help but feel like chuckling. She'd really wanted him to get on with her friends tonight, hadn't she? The idea of calling him over was hers. He hadn't been very keen, but she'd coaxed and forced him to come. She'd said it was in return for his warm, friendly hospitality in Pune, and that since she'd met his mother, it was only fair that he meet her family too. Only, her family was not her parents, but her best friends. Considering how all of them had gotten off on the wrong foot at the party, it was time to mend matters. That was how he'd ended up at Geet's place tonight. Seemed like her plan had backfired.

"Hey," he said to her, so that only she could hear, making her look at him. "Relax. I'll survive. See you in college, wildcat." He winked at her, and for a moment, a dejected look came into her eyes. Then she nodded.

Just as he was about to leave, someone said, "Abhay, wait."

It was Vidhi. Surprised, he turned around. She looked unwilling, skeptical even, but she soon corrected her expression. "None of us mean to be rude or unfriendly. You just took us by surprise, that's it. We'd like very much if you stayed."

"Yeah, and we wouldn't mind if you tried to flirt with any of us again, seriously. We all love you," Dia said in a sarcastic voice. She really hated him, he realized. For some particular reason, she really hated him. He grinned.

"Yeah? Since you're begging so much, I'll stay."

"Wonderful," she said with a fake smile, and he guessed he was supposed to know how she felt about him. But it didn't bother him... he didn't mind the fact that she didn't like him. In fact, it was refreshing to see that not all women wanted to throw themselves at him, and that some like Dia even had the spunk to talk to him rudely to his face, to punch him. He still hadn't forgotten how surprised he'd been that night when Dia had hit him. Secretly, he'd admired her for her strength, along with the fact that she refused to back down in front of anyone.

"No, really," Geet said, interrupting his thoughts, "I never said you shouldn't come, and I don't think Dia's vote counts. She's the least friendly of the lot. Just ignore her, and make yourself comfortable."

Dia scowled at that, and he chuckled.

"Thanks, Geet, but honestly, I really hate pissing Dia off."