Chapter 37: Eyes of mischief

Start from the beginning

Connor took his belongings to the benches, along with the remaining of the kids. There were about three or four at the most, including Shawn. They were talking amongst each other, not really about anything that Connor particularly understood. Soon they all headed to the showers, but Shawn stayed behind as he picked out some shampoo and wrapped a towel around his waist. Connor thought that if he were going to try and bring up some conversation, it might as well be now.

-"Mr. Hartman sure was being an ass today."—Connor said.

Not really to his surprise, Shawn didn't really respond. He seemed to be really focused in picking out soap from his bag.

-"... We're lucky to get a break."—Connor commented, almost expecting nothing.

-"You tell me."—Shawn answered monotonously, not even facing Connor.

Connor sighed in frustration, and removing his swimming trunks and getting wrapped in his towel, he headed towards the showers and entered one.

The showers in the changing room were open, with walls up to the height of one's abdomen between each stall. There were no curtains, just some sort of plastic doors they could use to cover their lower bodies, pretty low-budget, if you asked anyone. But since most were broken, the kids who showered there didn't bother to use them, instead just keeping to their own, as usual.

This was routine to Connor; he left his towel hanging outside the stall, entered with his shampoo and soap and turned on the hot water. He was to the right side of the room, with most of the other kids being on the opposite side. He closed his eyes, and breathed in the vapors of the warm water. He could hear the laughter of the other boys that were probably pulling bad taste pranks on one another considerably close to where he was showering.

Then, the sound of bare footsteps entered the room. That probably had to be Shawn. From what Connor could tell only from hearing, he was in a stall to his back's left. The sound of a fifth shower turning on followed, as with the scrubbing and washing that came with it. Eventually, the other kids left, and only Connor remained in the room with Shawn.

At some point, Connor opened his eyes, facing the wall. He was almost done showering, and had been completely unsuccessful in trying to ease the tension with Mendes. Well, everything happened for a reason in Connor's mind, so he decided to stop thinking about it.

Connor turned around, intending to turn off the shower and leave, but the room had filled up so much with steam it was uncomfortable to open his eyes at first. After he got used to the humidity in the air, Connor could see more clearly.

Which meant, he could see Shawn, showering, without a care in the world, naked across from him inside his personal shower stall.

He hadn't closed the plastic door that covered your lower body.

All across his life, Connor's first reaction would have been to look away, and not mind it. That had been what everyone always did. Of course you couldn't help but see other people naked here and there while in a changing room, it was natural, and nobody ever made a fuss about it. Unless you were a ten-year-old, that is.

But not this time.

This time, Connor was staring.

Luckily for him, the vapor covered for him, and Shawn seemed to be too busy in his own showering, humming some songs Connor didn't bother to recognize. But he was staring, examining Shawn's naked body before him. He had very well-toned legs, without barely any hair. He could see his skin was all the same tan color, with a very athletic complexion. Connor had seen his muscular torso when he swam-that wasn't new, but his broad back and shoulders were really pronounced, and for some reason, impossible not to look at.