"Oh my gosh!" I shouted, looking back down at Finn who stood by the dilapidated control booth. "What is this?"

He beamed up at me, stopping the motion only when my kart had reached the top. It rocked under me. "What does it look like?"

"It looks like a broken Ferris wheel."

He nodded. "Ahem, fixed Ferris wheel. That's the perk of being an electrical technician. Some say it's nerdy, but c'mon; how many guys can say they've given their girl her very own Ferris wheel?"

I stared at him, torn between astonishment and . . . amusement. "This was what you were doing this week?"

"Yup."

"Why?"

"Because of the view."

I looked out again, to the piles of leftover wood and the remains of a few structures that now looked more like lean-to's. "What view?"

"Look up."

I did, and some of the breath went out of me. I'd seen the stars before, these very constellations, but they seemed brighter here and the few extra feet the Ferris wheel gave made them feel a small world's closer.

I peered back over the side at him. "Did you plan how to get yourself up here too or are you just going to enjoy the view from there the whole time?"

His grin stayed plastered to his face and he stepped out of the control booth. He disappeared from sight and returned a moment later, gripping a small ladder under his arm.

I couldn't keep my own smile off my face and laughed outright. "Are you serious?"

Finn winked up at me. "Can a man carrying a ladder be anything but?" He stopped on my left side and maneuvered the ladder so it reached me. I held it fast as he climbed up, until he practically towered over me. He dropped into the spare space in the cart.

"Isn't this illegal?" I asked, as he stretched his arm out behind me, sighing contentedly. He looked sidelong at me, face unconcerned. "Probably. But the way I see it, I fixed the wheel. I should get a free ride."

"I think that's fair."

Finn smiled. "I also come bearing provisions," he said, taking out a bag of Doritos. I gave an incredulous shake of my head as he opened the bag. We shared it between us.

"And now . . ." Finn leaned into me, just enough for our lips to touch. Sweet and gentle like him. He drew his hands back. "Part two."

I raised my eyebrows. "What, did you get me a carousel as well?"

He tucked his hair behind his ear. "Your sarcasm is adorable and I'd gladly give you one to expand your mini-carnival but this is actually smaller."

He dug around in his coat pocket, producing a little box about the side of my palm.

I smiled, taking it gingerly in my hands. "What's this for?"

He rubbed his own hands together, leaning forward so the cart swayed slightly. "This is for nothing. It is a nothing present for a nothing occasion."

I gawked at him, feeling my eyebrows raise impossibly higher. "Then what was the Ferris wheel for?"

"The Ferris wheel was just me providing the view."

I made a face. "How high do you think my standards are?"

He peered down, gauging the distance. "'Bout seven feet."

I grinned, a warm feeling spreading through me. Thalia had been right; there was none of that blazing electricity one spoke of in books between me and Finn but this . . . this was probably better. It was safe. It was sweet. And it made me feel important in a way that no good grade ever could.