“Exactly! They don’t know what the real world is like, and so they hafta absorb everything they learn from the computers they’re wiping!”

  My cousin sighed heavily, rolling her eyes toward the ceiling before returning to her book.

  Feeling as though my point had been successfully made, I plopped down on the loveseat across from her. “What’re you reading, anyway?”

  “Twilight,” Liss answered sarcastically.

  “Oh, ha-ha.” Although, it was actually pretty funny imagining Liss reading something as fictitious as a vampire romance novel. She preferred reality and hard facts.

  “It’s Jane Eyre,” she answered honestly, pointing her finger to the words across the front of the book. “Hence the title.”

  Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, what was the difference? “You’re reading that on your own free will?”

  Liss sighed in annoyance. Apparently I was ruining the great love affair of Jane and Mr. Rochester for her. Plopping the book down in her lap, my cousin studied me with her pale and beautiful eyes. “As I recall, you used to love these kinds of books.”

  As I recall….It was too late. She’d already been reading too long. The old English had already muddled her modern brain. I snorted. “Yes, but that’s before I became a cynic, remember? It’s depressing that all her books end with a newfound—and quickly found—love resulting in an unlikely-to-last-long marriage.”

  “Charlotte Bronte?” Liss questioned.

  “Eh, sorry. I’m thinking about Jane Austen still. Charlotte Bronte is actually pretty realistic. I appreciate the fact that Mr. Rochester ends up marred and wifeless.”

  Liss raised a curious brow. “You actually read Jane Eyre, then.”

  I shook my head, grinning guiltily. “I watched the movie.”

  “Which one?”

  “The new one with Michael Fassbender.” I sighed dreamily. “Initially, I only watched it because he was in it, but I actually really liked it. Jane was a feisty gal who refused him at first and stood up to him. I respect that in characters. Also, their ending isn’t perfect. Therefore it’s acceptable.”

  “Well, that’s a double-standard, don’t you think?” Liss questioned. “Being all dreamy about an actor. I thought you were swearing off guys?”

  “Oh, Liss.” I smiled in a demeaning way. “Just because I’m not looking for a relationship any time soon doesn’t mean I still can’t appreciate the good looks of the opposite sex.”

  Liss rolled her eyes at me. “You’re the worst cynic I’ve ever heard of.”