Chapter Eleven

I always got antsy when the twins went trail riding with us. It wasn’t that they weren’t good riders—I’d taught them myself—but they were reckless. And on trail rides, where riders were mostly inebriated, I feared for their safety. They were too dumb to separate the ballsy riders from the drunk ones and always vied to beat them in whatever unspoken race they initiated. And they always initiated the first race.

  Uncle Harmon was no help. He insisted that the boys were fine and were well enough riders to know when to slow down for safety’s sake. He trusted them a helluva lot more than I did, though. Before every trail ride I would sit them both down and scold them before they even deserved it.

  Today was no different. They were still young enough that I could make up some elaborate story about their horses—how Sami was still slightly injured in her foot or how Jeannie still had the bad habit of kicking horses that got to close. All of what I told them was lies, but I had to look out for them somehow. So far, all my little tricks had worked. Why back down today? Besides, it was winter and had rained only the day before. The trails would still be muddy.

  “You worry too much,” my aunt laughed at me. She’d overheard me giving the twins the speech.

  I put my hands on my hips, refusing to feel sorry for my white lies. “I don’t care. Someone in this family has to be cautious.”

  “Hmm. I think you tend to be a little over cautious, dear.”

  Not enough, apparently. I couldn’t help the bitterness that swept over me at the thought of the last time I’d been taken by surprise. I would never let my guard down again. Never let myself go through that a second time.

  “Well,” I said before she could see the anger in my face, “I’d better get out there and help Uncle Harmon out with the trailer. The boys already have everyone tacked up. Sally!” I called up the stairs. “Last chance! You sure you don’t wanna go?”

  A few seconds later, I heard the whine of her door opening before she shouted back, “Yeah, I’m sure. Too cold! Y’all are crazy for doing this!”

  I laughed under my breath. It was pretty chilly today. But it was also sunny, and sun meant extra warmth. “I know right? I’ll catch ya later!”

  “I’ll pray you don’t die of pneumonia!” Sally chided.

  I rolled my eyes, but smiled.

  “Alright,” Aunt Nelly said, giving me a hug. For someone who teased me for being a worry-wart, she never failed to give us all tight hugs before a trail ride. “Y’all have fun. And I know this is pointless since you’re worse than I am, but be careful.”

  “I will,” I assured her.

  I gave my aunt a bright smile, said goodbye, and grabbed my saddle bags on my way out. The saddle bags were heavier than I thought they’d be, but I always expected extra weight. I only ever packed two water bottles, but once my back was turned Aunt Nelly would always add a ton of snacks she’d bought the night before specifically for the ride. I never ate it because I never got hungry on trails, but it was one of those sweet gestures I would never put a stop to. Besides, the twins were piggish enough to eat their snacks, mine, and still be hungry for the food that the hosts of the trail ride made.

  Usually there was only food after the trail rides if it was a benefit ride. I didn’t remember for sure, but I was pretty sure this was a benefit ride. I mean, why else would it be held in December?

  “Need help?” I asked my uncle after putting my bags in the cab.

  He stood up straight, grinning. Even though it was cold out, he was sweating. He must have had to pump the tire to the trailer again. We always had trouble with that thing. Uncle Harmon was too cheap to just use the spare already. He said he’d use that dumb tire until he absolutely had to switch it out.