"Huh?"

"Different types of swords. They all only have only one sharp edge, and they slash more than lunge. Except for the rapier."

"What?"

"Never mind. Let's go find a different sword for you."

"Oh. Well, okay. Fine by me."

You followed him into the Mapping room, and he opened a long wooden chest that was full of various sheathed swords.

He smiled. He reached in and pulled out a...how to describe it. A serious cutlass. Very...pirate-y looking. Curved, wide, fancy-gold-handled.

"A scimitar," he said proudly, holding it out to you, his blue eyes sparkling. "It was my father's."

You'd reached out to take it, but at the mention of his father flinched, and stepped back a little. "You mean...?"

"No, not Scarpa, if that's what you're thinking," he replied reassuringly. "He's too greedy to give up a sword. Scarpa might've raised me after I became a pirate, but he's not really my father. I stole this from my father in later years just to have something of his."

"Wait, but if he's not, then who–"

"Try it, I think it'll work." He held out the sword a little higher.

You nodded slowly and took it, unsheathing it.

"Woah," you breathed.

It was beautiful. That killer pirate sword was really...beautiful, for a killer pirate sword. Real shiny and sparkly, and had intricate goldwork all along the blade, and jewels in the handle.

"It's the same kind of sword I use," he said. "That's my backup for this one, actually. Try it."

So you got back in your prepared stance.

"And stay balanced. Sliding with your feet rather than stepping helps. Keep a strong defense, and relax. Learn when your opponent does his counterattack, and then when it would be best to strike, and with that sword, don't lunge, but slash. Control the battle flow, and drop the dramatics. Use every possibility to your advantage. Got it?"

You blinked, trying to remember all that at once. "Well, I think so..."

"Great, let's get started." He immediately, but slowly, brandished his sword and put you on point. "Put your opponent on point," he reminded you. "It's when you hold your sword out, pointed to your opponent's throat or face."

Well that doesn't sound threatening at all... You did it. But it is a sword fight.

The Captain took the first attack.

You blocked him.

He threw two more slashes, and you blocked both, only backing up a little.

After you blocked him once more, you took a slash of your own, unsuccessfully, and barely recovered in time.