"It's Complicated" - CHAPTER 16

Mulai dari awal

               Pulling into his mother's driveway, Truth parked and jumped out heading straight towards the door.

               "Ma!" he called out, locking the door behind him as he followed the smell of barbecue chicken, mash potatoes, and asparagus.

               "Boy, stop with all that yelling." she scolded him before walking around the counter, embracing him in a hug.

               "My bad." he replied as he released her heading towards the stool.

               "What's been going on with you and Kandi?" Valerie inquired as she started making him a plate.

               "How you know something is going on between us?" Truth said, scrunching up his face.

               "A mother knows their child, plus y'all usually visit me together." she told him, placing his plate in front of him. "So tell mama what's wrong."

               "Man," Truth drawled, sighing. "It's complicated."

               "Well, uncomplicated it and explain." she demanded.

               Truth started to explain everything from what happened at their birthday party to him seeing her in the restaurant and her acting like she didn't know him.

               "Truth" she said, sadly shaking her head. "Why would your ass just up and leave her after what y'all did."

               "I don't know." he responded, honestly. "I guess, I just wasn't ready to face what we did. We crossed a line that night."

               "Y'all, sure as hell did." she agreed. "It took y'all long enough though."

               "What?" he asked, confused.

               "I've see how y'all act around each other, people from the outside would assume y'all couple because of how possessive you are of her, and how she takes care of you like she's your woman." she told him.

               "Naw," he denied, biting into a piece of chicken. "We're just looking out for each other, that's what friends do."

               "Lawd," Valerie sighed, as she she saw she wasn't getting through to her son. "Truth, you need to open yours eyes and pay close attention to everything and everyone around you."

               Truth nodded his head as he wolfed down his plate before he kissed his mother goodbye and headed to Cashmere's house.

               "He's in love with her and is in denial about it." Valerie said, shaking her head as she watched him drive away."Damn, shame."

*

               "Fuck." Kandi screamed as she was once again sent to Truth's voicemail.

               The last time she saw him was when she was with Kendrick and it was honestly weird to her to act like she didn't know him. It honestly caught her off guard and she wanted to hurt him just like he hurt her.

               "Fuck this," she said, as she grabbed her keys off the kitchen counter and made her way outside.

              Hopping into her car, she knew one place he might be and she hoped she was right.

               Pulling up in front of Cashmere house thirty minutes later, she banged on the door.

               Swinging the door opened, Brooklyn twisted her lips once she saw who was at her door. "What do you want?"

               "Is Truth here?" Kandi questioned as she pushed past her into the house.

               "Damn, bitch. I ain't invite you in." she snapped.

               "Look, bitch. I ain't got time for this right now. Where's Truth?"Kandi spat, irritated.

              Brooklyn saw that Kandi look like she ready to snap any minute, so she decided to let her make it and pointed towards the basement.

               "Thanks." Kandi mumbled as she quickly made her way down the stairs.

               Scanning the smokey basement, she saw Truth sitting next to Cashmere as he passed him the blunt.

               "Truth!" she called out as she walked towards him.

               Sucking his teeth, he asked. "What are you doing here, Kandi?"

               "I need to talk to you." she said, hovering over him.

               "We ain't got nothing to talk about." he replied, salty.

               "Can I please talk to him in private guys." she asked Cashmere and Tyrone that was staring at them.

               "Damn, I wanted to see them fight " Tyrone grumbled as he followed Cashmere up the stairs.

               "How do you know, Kendrick?" Kandi questioned, once they were gone.

               "I should be the one asking you that. You're the one fucking my connect." Truth restored.

               "I'm not fucking anyone." she responded, cutting her eyes at him. "I didn't even know he was your connect."

              Truth ran his hand across his face as he sighed.

              "This shit is all fuck up." Kandi said as she paced back and forth."First the shit about his brother, now this."

               Truth looked at Kandi like she was crazy. "Kandi what the fuck are you talking about?"

               "Remember the guy we had to kill..." Kandi said.

               "Yeah." he replied.

               "....that was his brother." she told him.

               "Fuck outta here!" Truth screamed, jumping up from the couch. " How long did you know this shit?!"

               "A few weeks" she answered, sheepishly.

               "Few weeks." Truth roared. "Why would your stupid ass still fuck with this nigga, Kandi?"

               "Your ass ain't no better working for him." she rebutted.

               "That nigga probably playing you close," Truth said. "Has he asked you anything?"

               "No, the only thing really is if I've ever been to Dirty Angels." she answered.

               "Fuck," Truth said, running his hand over his mouth. "We gotta kill this nigga."

               "What, no." Kandi replied, shaking her head. She didn't want to have anyone else blood on her hands.

                "Why, you love this nigga Kandi?" he inquired, heated.

               "No," she snapped, annoyed.

               "It's either him or us, Kandi." Truth told her.

               He knew he had to dead him because sooner than later Kendrick was going to find out the Truth.