Chapter 13

Clara's POV

It's amazing how fast time flew by and George kept to his word, whenever he could he was always by my side. Including tonight as the last ball before he goes to war. Part of my heart felt as though it were going to split at any moment and I held back my tears as best I could. Standing in the ballroom in a new expensive gown that was a bit too small for me I watched the couples dance. There were soldiers there as well. I began to wonder if they were the ones that would be fighting at George's side.

"Dear Clara if you keep that look on your face you will not attract anyone to dance with you." Fanny says with a bit of a drunken smile as she begins to fan herself.

Yeah, this is exactly what I needed. Advice from the woman who thought I was after her man. Rolling my eyes I just tried my best to ignore her. Hard to do when she keeps nudging me though. I am ever so tempted to move just a little so that she falls flat on her face. However that would embarrass her and Jane as well so I will just play nice.

"He may not come back you know." Fanny says with a drunken giggle.

"That is too bold." I tell her as I narrow my eyes as her and she clearly gets my message.

"I am only telling you the truth, marry a clergyman after all they will never go to war." she replies to me as she looks about the room now.

"Perhaps because they are not brave enough to do so." I retort just as Jane makes her way to us.

Jane has a big smile on her face and I begin to wonder if perhaps she has had too much to drink as well. She is usually the responsible and almost always polite one. Then again we are all human and entitled to a little enjoyment every now and then are we not? Finally she takes my arm and pulls me away from Fanny. Thank goodness for that I truly owe her for helping me out of that situation.

"There is someone waiting for you out in the gardens." she tells me as she pulls me out of the ballroom and into the foyer.

"In the gardens? It better no be Mr. Plumtree." I say with fear in my voice.

"I promise you it is not him, go on though she what awaits you in the garden."Jane says as she gives me a slight shove in the right direction.

Walking through the luxurious house of the owner who I did not even know the name of. Jane and Fanny just decided to take me here to try and keep my mind busy from tomorrow. Finally I opened the doors that led outside, walking forward into the beautiful garden I saw a man with his back turned to me. The sound of my heel brought him out of his trance as he turned around revealing himself to be George.

"I am very glad that Jane could find you in all of that chaos." George tells me offering me his hand.

"Yes she saved me from a bit of an intoxicated Fanny." I reply with a giggle as I accept his hand and we begin to walk.

He looked very handsome in his uniform though I feared it would be the last time I would ever see him again. I scolded myself knowing I shouldn't think like that. Feeling George squeeze my hand I looked up at him and could see him smiling at me. I returned his smile as we stopped in the middle of the garden right next to the fountain.

"I know what you are thinking Clara." he tells me as we turn to face on another. "I will come back to you, I know we just met but you have made me feel more than any one in my life ever has. I hope you can see me through this war for I shall write to you as often as I can, I swear it."

"George I would see you through anything, when I first met you I admit I was afraid to think of any man in a romantic way but somehow you made it past all my defenses." I tell him as I turn away from him embarrassed. "Maybe I don't know that much but I know this much is true. I will always be there for you even though you are away from me."

Feeling a hand on my back I turn around just in time for George to kiss me. This wasn't one his usual kisses. This kiss was full of a passion I had not felt before not even in the future. Yet a part of me was scared this was a good bye kiss. My body reacted before I knew it, my arms were quickly around George's neck as if I were holding onto him for dear life as I returned his kissed with all the passion I had within me.

Once our lips separated only our foreheads touched. I wanted to cry but I knew that would only make him feel worse. He had a strong sense of duty and I knew that. Still I wanted to be self fish and keep him here with me. Was that really wrong though? I did not know if he would live or die. Then I heard him whisper a question to me that would change my heart forever.

"Clara if I do not return please know you were and always will be in my heart but I want you to be happy even if it was with another." he tells me and then I can't help but let some tears lose. "When I do return though Clara please, marry me?"

Jane's POV

He was going to ask her to marry him when he returned, I prayed that he would return just so they could be together. Yes she was strong willed but he matched her so well. I watched from the window as they held one another close and I could guess when he asked her for the next minute he had her in his arms and twirled her in the air then they kissed. Just like a fairy tale, this one I truly hoped would have a true happy ending.

"What is so exciting?" Mr. Plumtrees voice disturbed me and I looked over to him. "Why is Clara alone with Lord Land?"

"I think it is normal to be with one's fiance especailly if they leave for war in the morning." I reply as I look back to the window.

"Engaged?! How can that be? She does not have noble birth?" he question as he looks right at me.

"Really? I did not realize you had her family history." I retort as I keep watching a very happy George and Clara.

Even just for a moment they were completely happy.