Chapter 24

Clara's POV

Two weeks had past since James and I had confessed to each other. Jane insists on calling us a couple and we both agree with her. Never in all my years did I expect that James Plumtree would have feelings of love for someone like me. Obviously I was not the well behaved woman he was used to yet he still wanted to be with me. Lord I pray that he has the patience of Job. Walking outside into the garden I m met with a sight that wanted to make me sick just looking at them.

George and Angelica were walking up to Jane's house for a reason I did not want to know nor cared to hear. Turning as I tried to walk away from them I hear Angelica call out to me in a gleeful tone. Rolling my eyes I instantly regret being caught especially by them.

"Ah Miss Clara, still staying with Miss Austen. I would have thought you would return to America. No man waiting for you here now." she says as she looks to George and then to the new wedding band he was sporting.

Just as I was about to say something I felt a arm come around my waist. Instantly I froze unsure of what to do or what to say. I had a good idea on who the person was but I decided to be silent and see if they would say anything before I did.

"Lady Land? Is there something you wish to discuss with my fiancee?" I can hear James question her and the face she makes after that was priceless.

Oh really I wish they had cameras back then. That would have been a perfect moment for America's Funniest Home Videos!! That would have won a freaking prize too I just know it! Getting back to what was at hand Angelica looked to George for help but looked just as confused as I was then the confusion somehow turned to anger.

"So you had a relationship with this man behind my back?" George asks as he takes a step forward leaving behind a shocked Angelica.

"She did not, only on the day you met you true bride did we even acknowledge we might have had feelings for one another." James says stepping forward as well.

"Yet you knew how I felt of her and now once I barely left you dared to claim her as your own?!" George asks as it seems him and James were having a standoff.

"No one can claim me without my consent. Something you never had George." I said as I walked forward and took James hand pulling him close to me. "Yet you sir are nothing more than a liar. You speak of love yet you leave it behind for wealth. Never do I wish to see or speak to you again."

Turning on my heel James and I begin to walk away from George and Angelica.

"Do you know her secret?" Angelica yells out as James turns around and givers her a murderous look.

"I know all of her secrets. Does you husband know yours?" James questions as he grips my hand and we walk away from the now embarrassed Angelica and shocked George.

Once we were finally away from them I sat down on a swing hanging from a tree branch. I was glad that James came when he did but he called me his fiancee. Going back to my memory I don't remember him asking to marry me. Still I pushed the swing just for a moment as James looks down to me now.

"Forgive me for speaking out of turn. She had no right to speak to you like that." he tells me as he kneels down beside the swing.

"I am glad you saved me and I thank you for that. I suppose it just shocked me when you called me your fiancee." I say as I look down to the ground to embarrassed to look him in the eyes.

Feeling a hand under my chin James hand makes me look back up to him and I can see him smiling at me as if here were about to do something crazy. Knowing that look I raise an eye brow at him which makes him chuckle as he sits down on the ground before the swing and looks right into my eyes as if he was looking into my soul.

Taking my hands in his he gently pulls me off of the swing and I sit down before him our eyes never looking away from one another. Never did I think I would experience this kind of feeling with anyone. I always thought this was only in books but here it was. No matter what I tried I could not look away from James.

"Clara, I do have something I wish to ask you and I will give you all the time in the world for a reply but I must say this so that I may continue with my sanity." James says drawing close to me. "No matter what time you are from I believe this is where you were meant to be. I never wish to be separated from you for the rest of my life. Would you please do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

His wife? My heart was beating so loud I thought for sure he could hear it but he still kept eye contact with me. Smiling I could feel the tears build up in my eyes as I leaned in and kisses him as hard as I could. Why oh why did I not feel like this for him from the moment I met him? Oh right the whole him acting like a jerk thing but now even after two horrible experiences I was willing to take a chance yet again and be with James.

"Is that your answer? I pray that means yes." he tells me puling away for just a moment.

"A million thoughts are running through my mind but none of which make me as happy that to be you wife." I say as I nod over and over again and then kiss him again through my tears of happiness.

"Thank god, I was praying you would say yes but I would have been more than willing to wait for your answer." he tells me as he takes my hand and we stand up. "I do have something for you as well. Turn around and close your eyes."

Doing as he said I also managed to wipe my tears away as I felt something soft go around my neck. Then I felt it tied somewhat loosely behind my neck. I knew it was a necklace of some sort but I still wanted to see it and quickly turned around to see James smiling at me right at I opened my eyes.

"That necklace was the same one my father gave to my mother on their engagement. They were married for twenty three years. I hope it will bring us luck in ours." he tells me as I put my hand on the small cross now hanging from my neck. "Do you like it?"

"It's beautiful, thank you for everything James." I say as I look down at the little golden cross.

Back inside Jane took one look at us then looked to the ceiling and happily started laughing also managing to say "Thank God" all at the same time. Fanny was already back in London busy with her other friends but I was sure she wouldn't be happy when she received and invitation to our wedding. It was true, I was getting married in Jane Austen's time period to James Plumtree...who could have planned that out?