day one

P H O E N I X

The one thing I missed the most from having Perce with me was our daily morning phone calls. Even though we both knew we would be seeing each other in an hour for school, we always needed to talk over the phone. The glitches had somehow become comforting. The way he would be mid-sentence and abruptly cut off by a crack on the line. That way we would both have something to complain about on the ride to school.

Percy and I lived on the same street, but on opposite ends. Since I lived closer to the school he always stopped by and we would either walk or bike together. I was an avid believer in saving the environment by rarely riding a car. The past few months however, we had been walking because Percy had been stupid enough to crash into a dumpster.

Long story.

Now I couldn't even call him because he wouldn't even be awake by now. Or would he already be at school? I had no idea how Australian time worked.

At least not having to call him would give me some extra time getting ready. Maybe I could even squeeze in an episode of That 70's. It was Percy and I's favourite show, although we hadn't completed the entire series yet. We had been planning to watch it together on the last day of the holidays, but since he had moved we hadn't come up with a back-up plan.

I rolled out of bed and texted Percy a quick good morning. I then crawled over to my closet - yes, crawled. Mornings weren't exactly my best friend. Especially since Percy wasn't there to lift my mood. I grabbed the first semi-decent clothes I could find and started to change. My Rilakkuma shirt Percy had given me on my birthday and some plain jeans.

Once I had completed my routine of getting ready, I stumbled downstairs while still rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. Why were the curtains open in the living room? It was way too bright.

I was so ready to eat a stack of pancakes by now. But why couldn't I smell anything cooking? Dad always made his special fluffy pancakes (the recipe for which he stole from a local cafe) on the first days of school.

Instead of being greeted by heavenly pancakes, I was met with a dull yellow Post-It note stuck on the front of the fridge.

Sorry Fee, there was an emergency at the office this morning. If you still want pancakes, the ingredients are all somewhere in the kitchen. Just don't burn the house down. - Dad

The only problem was, I had no idea how to cook pancakes. The one time we were taught how to in Home Ec., I was sick. Now I would just have to live the rest of my day pancakeless. In a normal situation, I could probably call Percy and make him come over to cook them for me.

All of that was gone now.

The one food I did know how to make was cereal. (I can make toast, too). (It's just that I broke the toaster last week). (Long story). So on the first morning of my senior year, I ate cereal.

I ate fucking cereal.