Twenty-one (Part One) - He Loves Me

Start from the beginning

"Oh, Wren," Gran said when noticed me stirring the brew. "You look lovely. That dress that Jaxon bought you fits you perfectly." She circled her finger around, encouraging me to spin to show off the dress. I smiled and did a quick twirl, feeling like I was six years old and playing princess dress up.

"It does, doesn't it?" I nodded. "I can't believe how ridiculously expensive it was. I'm almost afraid to wear it and get anything on it." I couldn't help but think after everything I probably had put Jaxon through to find me, I wasn't sure I should even be wearing this dress.

"Ah, sweetie. You deserve that dress and so much more." She sighed, picking up on my hesitation. "I only hope he knows that." She dumped the ground leaves out of the mortar bowl into her palm, then walked over to the stove and dusted them off into the pot turning the liquid a muddy green color.

"Plantain ointment?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"See, and I thought you weren't paying attention to the various recipes we've been making together."

"Of course, I have," I said, feeling a little defensive. "There's only so many batches of various ointments and salves a girl can make before having every recipe memorized. Besides, I always felt like this one would be a good one to know, just in case of emergency first aid needs."

A knock on the door, then a loud creaking sound, broke our conversation as the hinges groaned when the door was opened. "Wren? Rosemary?" Sage paused taking a deep breath in, "This room smells fantastic. An earthy, healing, caring kind of scent." She took another deep breath in, "Please say, you're brewing me up a batch of pixie dust."

"Pixie dust?" Gran repeated, looking confused.

"Sorry Gran, inside joke. Sage seems to think I have the ability to mix up some kind of love potion. Something I can just sprinkle over someone and turn them into a lovesick fool."

"Never heard of such nonsense, changing someone's heart desire," she mumbled. "Of course, there have been witches claiming they have some love tonic that works, but I've never seen it. If there was a person who could do it, though, I'm with Sage, you're it."

"Ugh, there is no love potion, magic tonic, or pixie dust. All right? So stop ganging up on me. I think I would know, if that was something I could do." I replied, feeling a little oversensitive.

Sage laughed, "Sure, but if you somehow conjure this magic ability, let me know. I want to help you market the stuff. We could make thousands of dollars just from the students in our school alone." She smiled. "By the way, that dress is superb on you. Jaxon is going to fall over when he sees you in it. Oh, geez, is that the time?" she asked looking up at an old antique clock Gran had hung on the wall the by stairs.

I nodded. "Yeah, we should probably get going. Aren't we meeting them at seven?" I asked, knowing that would only give us three minutes to get there if we were trying to be on time. An impossible feat, unless I could figure how to get my freaky transporting ability working. It would be great to know how not to have my sorry butt just randomly appear somewhere at the most inopportune time.

"Yup. We'll be a few minutes late I guess. Come on. Let's get going." She shook her keys in the air.

I walked over to the door feeling a little dishearten when I slipped my feet into my old flats, wishing there was something a little less beat up in my footwear line up to go with the beautiful outfit I was wearing. I sighed and grabbed my purse off the counter. "Bye Gran, see you later."

She nodded and smiled. "Have fun. I'll see you when you get home."

We turned, then walked out the front door, down the steps onto the rocky driveway. The gravel crunched under our shoes as we walked toward the car. "So, you and Robin?" I teased, opening the door get in.