Four - Pixie Dusted

"Say it again

"Say it again. What exactly did Jaxon say that set Kellan off?" she asked.

"It all happened so fast. Something like, 'Wren and I were discussing being partners,' then Jax said something about Kellan's football team sucking. I can't remember his exact words. I was hit in the head."

"Wow, that's amazing," Sage said. She was walking backward to face me, with her strawberry blonde curls bouncing in time with her step.

"What? Are you crazy? Last time I checked being punched in the face wasn't a good thing."

"No, not that." She smirked and rolled her eyes. "The fact that both Jaxon and Kellan haven't even so much as blinked in the direction of a girl at this school since they've been here. Not from the lack of trying on the side of the female population, though. If a girl threw herself at their feet, they would likely step over and keep walking."

She paused as if she was thinking about something. "You know, I even saw that happen once when Jessica practically dumped her book bag upside down in front of Kellan to get his attention and he kept just talking to his buddy Shane and walked right through her stuff totally oblivious." She laughed and pushed her hair back out of her eyes. "But you, you're here for what a few hours and these two start a fight over you?"

"I told you. The fight wasn't really over me. Those two clearly have issues with each other already. I think I just happened to be in the wrong seat at the wrong time," I replied stuffing my free hand into my back pocket. "Oh, not to mention you practically had to yell at Kellan this morning to get him to leave me alone and back off."

"True, but at least he saw you and stopped to talk. With Jess, he just kept on walking."

"Hard not to see me when I basically ran right into him with my entire body. He'd have to be dead not notice that." I laughed and adjusted the ice pack on my cheek.

"Okay, maybe you're right." We rounded the corner and were now standing in front of the Galaxy Diner's red and yellow hand-painted sign in the window. "Ok, I'll drop it, but you might like to know," she said as she looked down at her phone, "that Jaxon is on his way join us for lunch."

I think my face went white as a sheet. "What? You weren't going to tell me until now!" My blood pressure spiked at the mention of his name.

"Well, I didn't want to say anything, as he doesn't always join us due to basketball practices at lunchtime, but I just got a text from Amy saying that he was on his way. It'll be all right, come on," she said, pulling on the sleeve of my cardigan as she opened the door.

I could see why they liked this place to hang out. It had an old classic fifties feel to it, with the red stools wrapped in steel that were facing a long countertop with booths that lined the wall on the right side. The mint colored walls added to its charm and displayed several framed poster ads from the fifties along with an old Texaco gas station sign. In the back corner, there was a booth larger than the rest in the diner, instead of two benches facing each other, this booth's seats wrapped all the way around the table to seat eight. Sitting at the booth was a girl with long straight brown hair wearing a tan corduroy jacket and plaid skirt waving at us to get our attention.