Chapter 24: One Thing

"Stella, what's the matter?" Niall asked, obviously concerned at my sudden change in mood. But I couldn't tell him, I had sudden lost all ability to speak. All I could do was stare at the screen of my phone, the words turning into a blur as tears gathered in my eyes.

(305)-061-4201: Hey angel. Your time is running out to get back to me on my offer. Maybe this will help you speed up your decision making process a little: we've left you a little surprise at the harbor, but you better hurry, he's losing a lot of blood. xoxo R

"
Niall." I gulped, grabbing onto his arm to prevent myself from falling over. "Niall, you have to take me to the docks right now."

Niall looked absolutely terrified. "The docks? What's going on?"

"It's Louis." I sobbed. "He's hurt, I don't have time to explain but we need to go." I grabbed his hand, attempting to pull him behind me towards the car, but he wouldn't budge. "Come on!" I yelled. 

"Hold on a second." Niall demanded. "Stella, you need to calm down-"

"Calm down? Calm down?! Niall, Louis is bleeding to death and you want me to calm down?" People were starting to stare, but I didn't care. My worst fear was coming true ; Louis' life was hanging by a thread and I had no way to get to him. It was taking me every ounce of self control I had not to have a nervous breakdown here on the beach. 

"If Louis is that hurt, maybe we should call the police or an ambulance first, they'll be able to do a lot more for him then we can." Niall suggested, his face pale. I knew he was only trying to help, but there wasn't a cop or paramedic in town that wasn't at Diego Rivera's high rise, assesing the crime scene. If we hesitated at all waiting for them, well, I couldn't even bring myself to think what might happen. 

"Niall, please." I begged, tears streaming down my face. "Please take me to him, i'll do anything if you just take me to him." 

He looked hesitant, but after a few seconds he finally nodded. "Okay, let's go." 

I almost screamed in relief. Gripping his hand in mine, we practically ran back across the beach, ignoring the looks we were getting from the people who's lazy day had been disrupted by my outburst. If I wasn't so distraught, I may have envied how easy their lives were, how they could enjoy a simple day at the beach without recieving a text message indicating that their boyfriend may or may not be dead. But I would give up a lifetime of afternoons like this if it meant Louis was still alive and breathing. 

Once we reached Niall's silver Mercedes Gelandewagen neither of us wasted anytime in jumping in and tearing out of the parking lot. My breathing erratic both from our run accross the sand and nerves, I willed myself not to cry, commanding my thoughts not to assume the worst. Next to me, Niall was drumming his fingers on the steering wheel as he sped slightly above the speed limit, looking almost as nervous as I was. Despite what Louis and Niall were going through, they were still friends and he obviously didn't want Louis dead any more than I did.

Luckily the docks were only about ten minutes away from the beach, and since Niall was speeding, we got there in seven. Before he could even stop the car I was out of it, sprinting down the boardwalk screaming out for Louis. I couldn't see him anywhere, and it made me so frustrated I started crying all over again.

"Stella!" I could hear Niall call. "I found him, come quickly." 

I turned around, trying to locate Niall's voice. He was kneeling next to a unconcious Louis, who lay sprawled prostrate on the ground. I ran towards them, almost knocking Niall over in my bid to get to him. Gingerly, I turned over his body so that he was laying on his back, my hand flying to my mouth as I took in his battered appearance. 

His handsome face was so bloodied that it was basically unrecognizable, blood congealing in a small gash on his forehead as well as trickling from his nose. Bruises littered his arms, and when I lifted his shirt to examine his stomach, it proved to be worse. There was a massive black and blue blood bruise accross his abdomen, as if he had been kicked repeatedly in the stomach.