No Turning Back - A Vampire Diaries Fanfic 20

Start from the beginning

"I trust you, Damon, of course I do, but I don't trust Katherine. You don't know what she's like."

"And how do you know what she's like? She hasn't even been in town two weeks. Don't judge the girl based on your own jealousy, Charlotte."

"I've been so stupid; she's messing with your head already. How could I let this happen?" Charlotte whispered to herself.

"What do you mean by that?" Damon demanded.

"I just know her, okay, Damon. She's dangerous," she said begging him to understand.

"Really? Then tell me, how do you know her, Charlotte?"

Charlotte looked at him, her eyes pleading. She didn't know what to say, she couldn't exactly tell him the truth.

"You know what it doesn't matter. Your reason for hating her is nothing more than jealousy," he scoffed. "I'm going home, goodnight, Charlotte." He walked away heading out the ballroom.

Charlotte stood alone, fighting back her tears. Every second Katherine was manipulating Damon, taking him further away from her. She looked around the room and noticed Katherine was gone.

Suddenly, someone grabbed her wrist tightly. She turned to find Katherine.

"Is jealousy getting the better of you, Charlotte," Katherine scoffed. "I swear me and Damon have done nothing but talk."

Charlotte pulled her wrist from Katherine's grasp. "Save it, like always you won. You proved that I'm not willing to use compulsion on the man I love," Charlotte said close to tears.

Katherine just smiled darkly.

"Sorry I'm not the monster you want me to be, that I want everything to be human and real," she said mockingly. "You've ruined yet another of my relationships. You're a true vampire. Congratulations, Katherine."

"It's for your own good, Charlotte," she smirked. "I only want you to see that we can make humans do whatever we want. There's no such thing as something real when you're a vampire, how can you feed on them if you don't erase their memories afterwards?" Katherine giggled.

Charlotte shook her head in disgust.

"Don't worry, at the moment Damon isn't my number one target. I've got my eye on the little brother; baby Stefan seems very taken with me."

Charlotte ignored her and began to walk away but Katherine grabbed her arm again. "One thing you said did bother me though. You told Damon I was dangerous. And dangerous in this town instantly leads to vampire. All it takes is for Damon to say that one little word to his father and I'll be on the vampire watch list." She gripped Charlotte's wrist tighter. "But I'm warning you if Giuseppe Salvatore did become suspicious of me, I'd make sure he knew about you too," she said her eyes glaring.

Charlotte once again pulled away from her. "Don't worry, I don't want to play the game Katherine, it's over. I'm done," Charlotte sobbed.

"What do you mean by that?" Katherine demanded.

Charlotte didn't answer and headed through the crowd of dancers and left the ballroom.

She left the Lockwood Mansion and headed back to the Salvatore house. She held back her tears all the way there; did she really have the strength to leave tonight? Deep down she knew leaving was for her own benefit more than for Damon's, she didn't want to hurt anymore. But maybe Katherine was right and she was just fooling herself... How could she have a relationship with a human?

She headed straight upstairs and to her bedroom. She grabbed a few simple dresses and a spare pair of shoes and undergarments, putting them in a small suitcase. She then went to Damon's room and took some money from his secret box. Also in the box was his pocket watch. She decided to take that too.