Someone to watch over me

Once the others were gone for the night Rose made herself a bed on the couch. "So, What do you guys do all night?" She asked, leaning back against her pillow

Optimus turned to her and spoke. "Arcee, Bulkhead and I will be on perimeter patrol. Bee.." He searched his neural-net "Bee will be..off duty, probably in Recharge. Ratchet will be here with you. He'll be monitoring the computers for activity and assisting us as needed."

She smiled, snuggling down into her make-shift bed. "That's OK. It's nice to know someone will be watching over me." She turned with a wince, closing her eyes and praying for peaceful sleep.

****

She tossed, Murmuring in her sleep, her hand lashing out to strike some invisible force. "Nooo.." she mumbled. Progressively thrashing harder "No, No...get AWAY!"Ratchet glanced over at her, curiously. "Rose?" He called to her sleeping form. She trembled, curling into to herself, tears running down her face. Clearly she was locked in some sort of a dream-state and couldn't register his presence on the outside."Rose," Ratchet called more firmly, leaving his work behind as he walked over to the girl.

"Rose can you hear me?" Ratchet called louder. Her breath was heavy and strained, her head shaking fiercely, cowering away from some unknown......something

"Please.....no......no"she whispered through the tears.

"Rose," he called again, one of his digits skimming her back. "Rose you're safe."

She jumped as he touched her. Her eyes popping open, looking around frantically still not quite processing where she was, "Please, don't hurt me. Please....just don't hurt me any more" she cowered into a ball, sobbing.

"Rose, no one's going to hurt you," he assured. "You're safe."

She winced, as her shoulder bumped into the couch, trying to disappear. "I'll be good I promise, I'm sorry, I'm sorry" she sobbed, fighting the couch.

"Rose!" Ratchet called, more loudly, trying to wake her from her torturous slumber. She shuddered at the loud noise. Shielding her head, as though waiting for something to strike her. Ratchet sighed; "Rose," he called again.

She blinked slowly, her breath still harsh and ragged. She sprang up her eyes still only semi-focused and clouded with tears."Who? Who? Don't hurt me!"

"You're safe, Rose," he insisted. She looked at him, through him. Right to his spark.

"Please...." She begged desperately.

"Please what, Rose?" The medic asked, befuddled. Her eyes darted back and forth between the massive 'bot and her lap.

She finally spoke, taking a slow deep breath. "Don't hurt me....don't let them hurt me."

"Well, I don't know who 'they' are but I can guarantee no one here will hurt you and if anyone else tries to, there will be repercussions for them to face." He answered, authority behind his words.

Her head cocked softly."R..Really?" She couldn't stop shaking."Y...you'll protect me?"

Ratchet sighed, realizing what he'd said. "Yes. The other Autobots have their charges, and it only seems fitting that I do the same with you, now that you're part of our mismatched group. She gave him the tiniest of smiles. "R...Ratchet......can you come...here....please....?"

He came closer, humoring her wishes. "Yes, Rose?" He asked. She laid her head against him, sighing contently. "You even feel different....." His optic ridges stitched together in confusion. "Excuse me?"

She looked down again "When I was a small girl, I could feel the.....chaos....coming of my father, and the men...the men....."she swallowed hard. "You don't have that."