Chapter 1

There was no reason for me to hate the cold or the winter. It was the cold crisp air that cleaned. In winter, most of the plant life died. The grass would turn brown and dead, flowers would become ash, leaves would fall and everything was left as it was before. It was a natural cleanse. Almost everything would end and pause for a moment of rest.

I guess that's why I liked winter. It meant there was a chance for something new to come. It was a blank slate.

Staring ahead I could see there was a couple trying to come and order coffee early today. He was tall and thin holding a rather smaller and more frail woman under his arm as he tugged the handle with the other.

Behind the counter, I could see movement of a familiar brunette setting the register and made eye contact with the persistent couple.

"We're not open yet."

The man whipped around and gave me a dirty look, "It's seven."

I nodded with a patient smile, "This is a campus run shop. The earliest it will open is eight. If you don't mind waiting a few minutes, I can start on your drinks-"

"No thanks." The shorter spat and pulled her male friend quickly behind her.

I sighed, slightly mindful of the white steam it released. (To be perfectly honest, puffing out steam on a cold day is something that hardly ever fails to lift my mood).

I turned in time to see Jacob, my friendly coworker open the door for me.

"Everything okay, Betty?" He looked curiously between me and the two that had abruptly left.

"Perfect." I beamed and entered the heated building. The mahogany tables were already polished and cleaned. I could see that the register was open and the coffee was already brewing. It was a warm smell, slightly sweet. I couldn't recognize the blend immediately but it was like running chocolate in my senses.

"What's today's brew?" I picked up a scent of fresh Danishes cooking in the back oven.

"How long have you been working?"

"Eh, you know me, Beth. I wanted an early start today. I guess you too?"

I nodded and hung my coat and scarf on the hooks in the back and replaced them with our standard black apron.

"We've recently been handed to a new manger. Someone from the booster club has taken charge of most of the shops."

"Is that legal?"

"I'm not ganna be the one to tell them no."

"Good point."

"As for the brew, I think it's Brazilian?"

"False."

"I literally have no idea. It's the new standard brew according to new management." He threw his hands in the air in a failed attempt to read the coffee bean container.

I smiled and recognized Latin based words, "I think it's Italian."

"Hasta la pasta." He frowned and threw the empty container to the back.

"Oh, this is ganna be a day with you." I laughed.

It's like this most mornings. I would wake up early around six to walk to campus and work at the shop with Jacob. We would both work for a few hours before we head to class and then run to another job. He would be the charmer at the register, and I'd be at the back bar drink making where no one could see me or be really bothered by me.