Chapter 14

(WARNING: The following chapter may contain inappropriate language and mature themes)

Aleksei swung, hitting Dimitri square in the jaw and Dimitri staggered backward. My arms wrapped tighter around Leina, my body shielding her from the chaos. Aleksei's fist connected blow after blow until finally Dimitri regained his balance. He turned, dodging Aleksei's jab and sent a swift kick to Leksei's chest.

"Stop!" I yelled but Lissa and Tasha stood across the stream of fighting looking on in shock. Tasha and I made eye contact and a smirk spread across her tight lips. My eyes scrambled frantically for some way to stop the tussle. My ears filled with the sound of the two men and Leina's screams.

"STOP!" I shouted again. I caught Dimitri's eyes and understanding seemed to flash in them. Understanding as if he was making out a foreign language that he'd only just begun to learn. Leksei threw his fist haphazardly at Dimitri as if he didn't have a care in the world and Dimitri grabbed his wrist stopping the hand only inches away from his jaw. A wave of shock washed over Leksei's face but he swung the other fist only for it to catch Dimitri's other palm. Dimitri twisted his wrists, turning Aleksei facing away from himself. Rage painted over Aleksei's face, his gaze landing on me. He glared at me struggling to break free of Dimitri's hold.

"Whore," he spat at me.

"Leks-"

"No! I fought for you!"

"Aleksei... I didn't mean for any of this to happen."

"You didn't, what?" Freeing himself from Dimitri's hold he walked closer to me. "You didn't MEAN, for it to happen? You didn't mean to cheat on me?"

"Artyom,"Dimitri warned. Aleksei turned holding his hand up to Dimitri.

"I'm talking to your-"

"Artyom-"

"Are you not a cheater?" Aleksei turned abruptly, screaming at me. I covered Leina's ears and stumbled backwards.

"Aleksei, you've gotta understand. It's not what I meant to happen. I loved you-"

"You LOVED me?" he slowly began taking steps towards me. "So you loved me by being with another man? By kissing another man?" My back hit the wall.

"Aleksei, please-"

"By making love-" Dimitri grabbed at Aleksei's arm.

"Guardian Artyom-" Aleksei quickly snatched his arm away.

"I'm not done." He spat at Dimitri. "Rosemarie Hathaway, you will regret this." Tears swelled in my eyes.

"Aleksei Artyom-"

"Don't bother, Belikov. I'm leaving." Aleksei brushed past him making his way out. "Have fun with your whore." He called on his way out. Tasha gave us a look of disgust before following Dimitri out. I slid down the wall, holding Leina tight and rocking her gently in my arms as the tears began to fall. I heard the door slam but I didn't look up. And Dimitri just watched me. Watched me until Leina was long sleep and until I was finally ready to sleep too.

"Rose...Roza?" he whispered. I sat in silence my eyes shut tight, cradling Leina in my arms. Strong arms wrappedaround my body and suddenly I was lifted into the air.

"Dimitri..."

"Hush, My Roza." I sighed and rested my head against his chest. I let my eyes close for a moment but my arms stayed tightly around the little girl in my arms.

"I can walk," I sighed out. He said nothing but kept walking and finally our door came into view. Tactfully, he nudged the door open and sat me gently on the bed. I'd barely noticed as he took the sleeping child from my arms and before long, I felt a shift as his weight melted into the spot next to me. His hand trailed down my waist before pulling me into him. He kissed my head, then his warmth breath on my ear.