Ch 4 - Adopted

I had a bad feeling in my gut. The thought of leaving this sanctuary left me frightened. I looked at Pandora, who was confused. Innocent Pandora. I looked at Damen, and he was... Scared. It made me scared too. He's never scared.

"-go." Gloria said, I didn't hear the first part.

"What?" I asked.

"I said, let's go." Gloria left the room, waiting for us to follow.

We all got up, and glanced at each other. Pandora, still confused, pulled my hand.

"C'mon, let's go."

I nodded my head and instinctively pulled Damen's hand. I felt like he would just stand there if nobody dragged him. With my Panda Bear in the lead, we followed Gloria to the office.

Gloria was 1 second away from opening the door, but the door suddenly opened. Mr. Mashim's unpleasant face welcomed us.

"Hello, hello! Tryphena, Damen, and cute, little Pandora! Let's have a seat, shall we?" He grinned ear to ear and gestured towards the chairs.

We let our hands go, and sat down. Pandora was trying to grasp the situation and Damen was nervously fidgeting with the hem of his shirt. I was indeed nervous, but I carefully watched Mr. Mashim's movements.

"Gloria, have they been taking their daily... Supplements?" Mr. Mashim questioned her.

He hasn't stopped smiling.

Suspicious.

"Yes Mr. Mashim." Gloria stood straighter and tried to look as confident as possible, yet didn't look him in the eye.

"Good. Good. Now about those blood tests...?" He asked, still smiling.

"Yes sir, here they are." Gloria scuttled across the room to grab a small pile of papers.

Mr. Mashim finally stopped smiling and grabbed the papers. He paced and read each paper swiftly and intently. Gloria's eyes were glued to the floor the entire time.

"Gloria." Mr. Mashim looked up from the papers and called.

"Yes sir?" Gloria immediately looked up.

Mr. Mashim smiled, "Good work."

Gloria relaxed and smiled. She turned to leave and before leaving, she glanced at us. Her eyes told me she was sorry, and she was scared. Damen probably knew what she was thinking too. Pandora was still confused.

But what I wondered why she looked scared. Was she scared of Mr. Mashim? Scared for us? Both?

When the door shut and Gloria left, my heart dropped. It was just us four. And I have a feeling that I know what's going to happen to us.

"Hello, pets." Mr. Mashim smiled.

He looked at Damen first. He stared him down, then checked out his body. Then me, he studied my face and body before checking out Pandora next. I grabbed her hand protectively and squeezed it. She looked at me then at Mr. Mashim. She smiled at him, and he smiled back.

"Oh, you're a sweet little one, aren't you?" Mr. Mashim quickly pinched her cheeks.

Before Pandora could respond, Mr. Mashim stepped back and walked to the desk.

He was up to no good. I could feel it.

"I believe you have an idea of why you darlings are here." He turned to face us.

He looked at Pandora, Damen, then me. He stared at me the longest since I glared and never left eye contact. He smiled and looked away. He looked at me again and chuckled.