Ch 3 - Orphan Pt. 2

"Yeah. He took me here." I explained.

I remember the creep. Is he the driver for this orphanage or something?

"Ya'll can explain later." Gloria said, "And everyone else, mind ya business!" She shooed everyone away from listening.

I hadn't noticed everyone staring at the three of us until now. I hated attention.

"Now come on over, sweeties. Ya'll have to take ya meds." She led the way to the room.

It looked like a mini hospital. There was actually a nurse on duty, and there were medicine shelves stacked with countless drugs and whatnot. It was pretty big and had everything needed. I guess it was necessary, since the children were bound to get in some accidents.

Now that I think of it, the orphanage was well maintained and seemed like they were given a lot of money. I was blessed to have been sent here.

Gloria gave a pill to each of us. They both swallowed it quickly without any water. I stood there, unsure.

"C'mon hun. Ya need to take it." Gloria handed me a glass of water.

"Why did I need this in the first place?" I asked.

Mr. Mashim wasn't my parent. Not my doctor either. Why did he tell her to make to take this? And why do they have to take it? How do they know Mr. Mashim?

"Mr. Mashim is someone who is looking for specific kids to adopt. He's already adopted quite a few children, now. He looks through each person's file thoroughly so he knows which kids would be right for him. While looking through the medical files, he saw something in your files. He said ya'll needa take a pill for supplements, cause of ya health." Gloria explained.

Supplements? I'm fine. Wait. Adopt? Would he take us three?

"Is he going to adopt us?" I asked, afraid.

I am NOT calling him Daddy.

"I'm not sure, sugar. He's probably just lookin' out for ya'll. He's a... Kind man. Just take ya meds." She averted her eyes.

Relief rushed through me. I looked at the pill in my hand. This was one of the first times for me to take a pill. I stared at it. It was pretty big, too. It was white and chalky, with some foreign letters on it. Probably the company's logo or something.

I put it in my mouth, and it tasted disgusting. It was like a rotten milk and iron combination. I quickly washed it down with water.

Gloria left, happy that I took it without a fight. Damen and Pandora laughed at me. I wiped my mouth with the back of hand. I thought it would at least have a tasteless coating.

"I see why you guys can swallow it so fast." I cringed.

"So, you know Mr. Mashim?" Damen asked.

"Yeah. He's the creep who dropped me off here." I replied.

"I met him just a month ago." Pandora answered back.

"Me too. I was with her." Damien agreed.

"He's a creep." I stated.

"He seems nice. He smiled a lot." Pandora grinned.

Could she not see the craze in his eyes? I looked at Damen for his opinion.

"What?" He asked.

Rude.

"What do you think of Mr. Mashim?"

"Big and sweaty." He replied immediately.

We all laughed and agreed.

----------