Chapter Twenty one

Philip was restless. He felt obliged to do something. Something big and grand to explain to everyone just what was going through his mind. He dragged me away to his study and made me sit while he paced and then told me exactly what to write, word for word. The outcome, he told me, would be spectacular.

 ******

     Philip clutched his curled paper in both hands and stood tall and regal as he observed the mass of people in front of him. They were waiting. This kind of thing was not what happened and they were keen to hear what he, the new King, had to say to them. He cleared his throat. “It is at times like this that we have to unite as one, do our duty and take everything in our stride.” His voice was crystal clear as it resonated loudly and naturally through the square. He could project his voice exceedingly well. “Death is such a tragic thing, something that we all face and fear but it’s how we react to it that defines who we are.” The new King cleared his throat again and glanced at the silent subjects. “Our country is in mourning for the sudden death of our King. He ruled with good intentions which is precisely how I intend to rule. I hope that in a moment you will join us in prayer for him.

    “He is up in heaven with our past rulers and with God. As the great country of France we will prove to Him and other Kingdoms that we are the best!” The crowd suddenly roared in agreement nearly sending me back a few steps. This gave him more confidence and I saw his mouth twitch with a small smile. “We are the most dignified.” Another roar of agreement rose up. “That we can survive anything!” He shook his paper fiercely with each emphasis. He had to stop for a long while for the crowd was cheering far too loud for him to even attempt competing with. Only until it had gone deafly silent and we could have heard a pin drop did he speak again. “We have the courage of lions!” I was very nearly deafened by the ecstatically loud ruckus that flared up. I thought that the windows of the houses and little shops would explode. “And the hearts of Saints!” He managed to squeeze in.

    It was incredible to watch the crowd’s reactions to his words. He allowed the cheers to go on for a grand old time, just standing there with a small smile as he absorbed their adoration and complete faith in him. There was no doubt that they were bursting at the seams with pride for their country. He held his hand up and silence quickly fell. “We are France and this is how we rule. So, come, friends and celebrate your nation, for your old King and the new,” he placed his free hand to his heart. “For yourselves as well. Now, a prayer from the Arch Bishop.” He gestured to his right and in a brilliant robe of white, red and gold the Arch Bishop stepped forward, greeted the crowd and said a long prayer for the deceased King. Once we had all crossed ourselves  the new King, my husband, gestured for the crowd to begin celebrating.

    He was the first to walk off the make do wooden stage and down the rickety stairs covered in a blue carpet, followed by myself and then the Arch Bishop. As we got into our carriage I took Philip’s hand in mine and gave it a reassuring squeeze. “I think, my love,” I said loudly above the noise, “that you have restored any lost faith.”

 ******

    Two months passed by and it was discovered that I was once again with child. I wrote to Agate to tell her the news and she replied, apparently she’d left at the perfect time because it wasn’t long after she’d left that her bump really began to balloon. Little August  was no longer the tiny newborn that I feared for his life, although he was always a healthy baby. He was fast growing into a fine young toddler. Philip, continuing with his Kingly duties found himself working almost relentlessly, enduring meeting after meeting while his powerful underlings argued and bickered over money and taxes.

    Without my sister or Agate I found myself bored with not an awful lot to do. I fluttered between the small little social groups that had accumulated in court but even though I was at the top I was still not really accepted. What did these people want from me? Why wasn’t I good enough?