Chapter Five

• Dedicated to Becca

    “What are you doing?” Senorita Dulcinia asked as she glided stealthily into the room resting her hand on the back of my chair as she peered rudely over my shoulder. I recalled the page number quickly then slammed the book shut, setting it on the table top.

    “Right now? Nothing,” I craned my neck round to look at her distastefully.

    Senorita Dulcinia glanced about the room before leaning in and hissing, “You are making a foe with the wrong lady little princess.”

    I could not help myself, I was too liberal for my own good at times. I snorted, “Lady? I would hardly class someone such as yourself as a lady. And I would know,” I added cocking an eyebrow at her fast reddening cheeks, “For I am royalty and you are not.”

    She straightened up and brushed her dress down. “Your tongue is tainted child,” she hissed glowering at me with pure dislike.

    I got to my feet so that she could not stand over me and sucked a great breath of defiance into my lungs, “And so is your reputation, Senorita.”

    She gasped, downright outraged and appalled. “How can you say such a thing to the woman that makes your Padre so happy?”

    “He could have any woman in the land,” I snapped dismissively. “You just happen to be the easiest to get hold of. She raised her hand to slap me and my eyes widened, I took a step backwards banging loudly into the table. “You dare raise a hand to me!” I gasped.

    She turned her hand into a pointing finger, “You have no idea how much power I hold, do you? I behold more power than the Queen and I can make the King think anything I want him to think.” Her teeth grounded together. “It would be a much easier life for you to at least try and get along with me. For instance,” she mused giving me a smirk. “I want you to persuade your siblings to speak to me more.”

    My heart scolded under my chest, out of all my siblings I disliked Senorita Dulcinia the most. “In what way would that benefit you in the slightest?”

    She smiled, “It would get me into your Padre’s good books and give me even more power and freedom if he sees that his children welcome me.”

    I frowned annoyed and perplexed by her reason, “But we do not and I refuse to sway them otherwise.” I crossed my arms defiantly over my chest to try and physically prove a point.

    “Do not make me do things the hard way, princess Anna-”

    “Rosanna.” I cut in.

    “But everyone here calls you Anna,” She pulled a face of mock hurt. Then her top lip curled up again, “This is precisely what I am referring to. You need to just accept that I am here and I am here to stay for good-”

    “Until Padre dies.” I added.

    “It is awfully rude to keep interjecting yourself over the top of other people and you would do well to remember your manners from now on.” Senorita Dulcinia spoke tartly in one long breath. “Now I will bid you good day until we dine later on.” She bowed her head and half curtsied, I begrudgingly bowed and she left the room with a secure and self righteous strut about her. She was like a peacock. I decided right there that I know longer liked peacocks.

    I told Nikola and Josepha everything that had been exchanged between Senorita Dulcinia and me to which Josepha gave me a scolding look and Nikola managed to look concerned. She had been able to pick out the seriousness of the conversation at least. “I cannot believe you said those things Anna.” Josepha hissed once I had finished.